Question Random crashes when gaming ?

Jul 11, 2024
Hi guys so here is what happened so far, games would crash without any critical errors or a window that pops up to press ok on.

the game would freeze on the same frame, sound would still continue playing sometimes but the frame will never change.

after that either the game is gonna crash on its own or i have to alt tab and open task manager and end task of the game.

here is what i did so far..

someone asked for my event viewer logs and after they seen it they said with that event is filled nvlddmkm ... DDU your nvidia gpu driver and install an older one, then try and see if it crashes.

they also said one of your disk has a bad block, tho only 1 occurence on your event and to check with crystaldiskinfo.

-downloaded ddu
-restarted in safe mode
-used ddu to remove gpu driver
-restarted after from the option that the program gives you
-installed fresh gpu from the web "geforce nvidia experience" and download latest driver from the app
-restarted after
-games would still crash randomly

-installed crystaldiskinfo
-seems like the info is really bad but i dont understand it

i. gyazo. com/347bc09050305d5c8298b19788657ac7 .png
i. gyazo. com/8c4ac010ee9e5d65e9e642db563b75cc .png

first picture that is 0% life and bad is the ssd that windows is installed on
2nd picture is the hard disk that i keep most games on

and this is 2 more pictures from the program hard disk sentinel

i. gyazo. com/48958747a06422a70b9df1512779d560 .png
i. gyazo. com/f1fa6a17a2a605b2a0e17a3725fd63a1 .png

after that people stopped helping me at all.

now i dont know any thing about what im seeing over here but i hope i can get some help so i can continue playing games without crashing.

edit : the games would crash randomly, so for example in overwatch i might play 2/3 full matches without any problems, then the 4th match the game would crash.

for elden ring for example i could play sometimes 2/3/4 hours without any problems and some other times it would just crash as soon as i load in or less than 10 minutes in.

so its kind of random

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Since i can't see the images(at the time of posting this);
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

installed fresh gpu from the web "geforce nvidia experience" and download latest driver from the app
App?

Where did you source the installer for your games?

Jul 11, 2024
CPU: intel core i7 7700k
CPU cooler: just a fan on top
Motherboard: gigabyte z270x-gaming-k5
Ram: ddr4 16 gigs x2 sticks
SSD/HDD: ssd = kingstone suv400s37240g / hdd = wdc wd20ezrz-00z5hb0
GPU: gtx 1080ti
PSU: dunno where to get that from "age would be around 3-4 years" - it died and bought a new one 1-2 years ago
Chassis: dunno where to get that from
Monitor: display 1 s24c750 display 2 zowie xl lcd

i edited on the main post links for the pictures for some reason everytime i try to put it as in pictures the forums says its spam

nvidia geforce experience lets you download latest gpu driver from there, from geforce experience it self.

games are all from steam

Jul 10, 2024
1. Does it only freeze in a variety of games only in steam?
2. Is it around the same stage of the game every time?
3. Have you ran a file integrity check on the game through steam and then tried it?

Jul 11, 2024
1. Does it only freeze in a variety of games only in steam?
2. Is it around the same stage of the game every time?
3. Have you ran a file integrity check on the game through steam and then tried it?
1. its random "but some games it seems like it doesn't crash at" or maybe i didnt play it long enough
2. same answer
3. yes i tried it in the games that crash

1. its random "but some games it seems like it doesn't crash at" or maybe i didnt play it long enough
2. same answer
3. yes i tried it in the games that crash
Go into settings / display / graphics / default graphics / turn of GPU schedules graphics.

It effects a lot of games especially denovu titles.
https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-motorola-rvo3&sca_esv=686f8158a5bb30da&q=how+to+get+tpo+gpu+accelerated+graphics&uih=715&dpr=2.79#vhid=pl1vLESYUjve0M&vssid=mosa

Kalnon

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
A few other things to try:

1. Right click on the Start menu icon on the left side of the task bar and select Command Prompt (Admin), then type this into the command line:
Code:
sfc /scannow

This will run a scan and check all of your core system files, if it finds any corrupt files, it will attempt to fix them and usually it does fix them. I run it a few times a month to make sure my OS really is running well. It may seem to be running well but bad things can be happening in the background that you don't notice or know about that can cause all kinds of issues with games and other applications.

2. Make sure DirectX is updated, you can use the DirectX Web Installer

3. Make sure you have all C++ Redistributables installed and updated. Also make sure to install all .NET Framework's, these are vital to many games to work well. Installing and updating both will ensure all your games run well.

I made it easy for you, so you don't have to go searching the web, I happen to have a C++ all in one package I found on File Horse or some similar site and I searched for and downloaded all .NET Framework versions from Microsoft. I am doing a Windows reinstall soon so I wanted to have these installers handy.

I uploaded them to my cloud in a shared folder for you to download: https://mega.nz/folder/ClsVlJSb#0RrRLPVMMTuRpIOX_6FC_g

4. After you do the first three steps, check for Windows Updates.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2731765

PSU: dunno where to get that from "age would be around 3-4 years" - it died and bought a new one 1-2 years ago

Knowing the exact Model number and brand of the PSU is a very important part of the troubleshooting process. Check the power supply's label printed on the side.

Kalnon

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Yeah a lot of people skimp on PSU's when they build a PC. It surprises me how many people don't realize how important it is to have a quality PSU.

A cheaply made one can not only cause strange issues, it can destroy your PC, I've even heard horror stories of cheap PSU's bursting into flames completely destroying all the PC components so it is well worth spending a little extra to get a quality PSU.

I always buy Seasonic, they've never let me down, not even once in all the years I've used them.

Jul 11, 2024
Go into settings / display / graphics / default graphics / turn of GPU schedules graphics.

It effects a lot of games especially denovu titles.
https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-motorola-rvo3&sca_esv=686f8158a5bb30da&q=how+to+get+tpo+gpu+accelerated+graphics&uih=715&dpr=2.79#vhid=pl1vLESYUjve0M&vssid=mosa
In the proccess of testing this out, will post later for updates on that.

If all else fails, doing a fresh new Windows reinstallation almost always works when nothing else will. I learned that from experience.

that might be the last step since my SSD is on 0% life
347bc09050305d5c8298b19788657ac7.png

i. gyazo. com/347bc09050305d5c8298b19788657ac7 .png
so its read only, unless i will just take it off and install windows on the HDD and have everything in one hdd which sucks.

A few other things to try:

1. Right click on the Start menu icon on the left side of the task bar and select Command Prompt (Admin), then type this into the command line:
Code:
sfc /scannow

This will run a scan and check all of your core system files, if it finds any corrupt files, it will attempt to fix them and usually it does fix them. I run it a few times a month to make sure my OS really is running well. It may seem to be running well but bad things can be happening in the background that you don't notice or know about that can cause all kinds of issues with games and other applications.

2. Make sure DirectX is updated, you can use the DirectX Web Installer

3. Make sure you have all C++ Redistributables installed and updated. Also make sure to install all .NET Framework's, these are vital to many games to work well. Installing and updating both will ensure all your games run well.

I made it easy for you, so you don't have to go searching the web, I happen to have a C++ all in one package I found on File Horse or some similar site and I searched for and downloaded all .NET Framework versions from Microsoft. I am doing a Windows reinstall soon so I wanted to have these installers handy.

I uploaded them to my cloud in a shared folder for you to download: https://mega.nz/folder/ClsVlJSb#0RrRLPVMMTuRpIOX_6FC_g

4. After you do the first three steps, check for Windows Updates.
1. a friend of mine told me to do that, but i will do it again now
2. did that on DirectX and redistributable C++ or w/e its called
3. just mentioned it up "if there is a way to run DxDiag to prove you im on latest stuff i can also do that.
too bad i cant post pictures here

4. did that after the DDU so all good on that latest version of windows and drivers.

Knowing the exact Model number and brand of the PSU is a very important part of the troubleshooting process. Check the power supply's label printed on the side.
Yeah a lot of people skimp on PSU's when they build a PC. It surprises me how many people don't realize how important it is to have a quality PSU.

A cheaply made one can not only cause strange issues, it can destroy your PC, I've even heard horror stories of cheap PSU's bursting into flames completely destroying all the PC components so it is well worth spending a little extra to get a quality PSU.

I always buy Seasonic, they've never let me down, not even once in all the years I've used them.

i got it, its a evga supernova 850 g3 gold power supply "80 plus gold"

so the dead conditions of my SSD and HDD has nothing to do with the crashes?

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2024
small update : windows update "you're up to date"
but.. it says

This PC doesn't currently meet the minimum system requirements to run Windows 11.
Get the details and see if there are things you can do in the PC Health Check app.

image.png

image.png

sfc scan results :-
image.png

Last edited:

Kalnon

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
i got it, its a evga supernova 850 g3 gold power supply "80 plus gold"
EVGA is a bargain brand power supply. With EVGA PSU's it's hit or miss when it comes to quality. Some people use them for years without issue and others have all kinds of problems with them. The components they use in them are not the highest quality so they can fail or cause problems without notice.

When I mentioned earlier about cheaper PSU's starting on fire, one story someone told in a review of a 1000 watt EVGA PSU had their PC start on fire completely destroying their $2,000 PC.

That's why it's best to get a good quality brand like Seasonic or Corsair PSU's.

Jul 11, 2024
EVGA is a bargain brand power supply. With EVGA PSU's it's hit or miss when it comes to quality. Some people use them for years without issue and others have all kinds of problems with them. The components they use in them are not the highest quality so they can fail or cause problems without notice.

When I mentioned earlier about cheaper PSU's starting on fire, one story someone told in a review of a 1000 watt EVGA PSU had their PC start on fire completely destroying their $2,000 PC.

That's why it's best to get a good quality brand like Seasonic or Corsair PSU's.
i would indeed consider your advise when i upgrade next time but for now its not really an option.

as of now im trying to figure out the cause of the crashes, if there is something for sure that is "THE" problem as in a part of hardware, then i will replace it.

did you take a look at my hard drives conditions? would it be the cause?

i would indeed consider your advise when i upgrade next time but for now its not really an option.

as of now im trying to figure out the cause of the crashes, if there is something for sure that is "THE" problem as in a part of hardware, then i will replace it.

did you take a look at my hard drives conditions? would it be the cause?

That particular model of psu is fine it is certainly not a bargain bin PSU brand. Evga is like any other company some are made awful and some are bad that particular model is made by superflower. I would replace the harddrives as soon as possible if the 240 SSD I would replace as that's the one with the operating system that would explain your issues.

I would replace with a 512gb or 1tb
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rwtwJy

I would use the 512gb as your new os
( Only use for windows apps and steam do not have games on it as frequent writes kills the drive faster.

And the nvme 2tb for steam games
With a nvme heatsink.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright...20790485&sprefix=nvme+heatsink,aps,210&sr=8-5

Jul 11, 2024
That particular model of psu is fine it is certainly not a bargain bin PSU brand. Evga is like any other company some are made awful and some are bad that particular model is made by superflower. I would replace the harddrives as soon as possible if the 240 SSD I would replace as that's the one with the operating system that would explain your issues.

I would replace with a 512gb or 1tb
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rwtwJy

I would use the 512gb as your new os
( Only use for windows apps and steam do not have games on it as frequent writes kills the drive faster.

And the nvme 2tb for steam games
With a nvme heatsink.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-TR-M-2-2280-Conductivity-Performance/dp/B0BNZYFW88/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?crid=33RDSXGT9B67&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.gWY75JjSH5ORJt038wzEEf50dKdI-K2gPtOEJVj8uFlHTSbjTFhiESk3jL8LeDY498IlHZoRaRHst84QLw47UFWtxwV1v8d-q654Oez5Vs9sHSd3OlEVbRIPnfLBRbyQCPLKQxADrIpa7dt2H5tRmpvmUf1OIWHmO1LmdQrCKWAYAc6fzr96mJN4wilyYM2S_W9dUSJmlUMXW60xcAr0Qw.eey24eBlweE7KTMCJ5XNocV0Bewk5T4TcCiX6Xnl9q4&dib_tag=se&keywords=nvme+heatsink&qid=1720790485&sprefix=nvme+heatsink,aps,210&sr=8-5

I checked out your recommendations for the hard drives, they seem nice and i bookmarked them, but my motherboard does not support nvme in general and some other things.

however i am okay with replacing the harddisks but i just want to make sure that this is the actual problem and the crashes are not caused by the gpu for instance or something else.

I checked out your recommendations for the hard drives, they seem nice and i bookmarked them, but my motherboard does not support nvme in general and some other things.

however i am okay with replacing the harddisks but i just want to make sure that this is the actual problem and the crashes are not caused by the gpu for instance or something else.
It actually does the nvme is above the slot next to CPU cooler .

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270X-Gaming-K5-rev-10#kf