[SOLVED] Need help reestablishing permissions for desktop folder.

braeseven

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2016
I am trying to help a freind who has somehow mucked up the permissions for his desktop folder in Windows 10, which needless to say is hampering the functioning of his laptop. I have tried only one method so far which was to (desktop folder right click properties) replace owner on subcontainers and objects and replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object. After hitting 'apply' it proceeds to reset permissions but seems to either take far too long or get stuck on this process. Any advice on what might be the best approach to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
At this point, I'd rather just create a new user account, transfer any user files over including what you can from AppData (you probably need to throw it in another directory first since users normally can't access another user folder other than their own), and nuke the old account.

The only hiccup here would be you need to get rid of the bloatware again and possibly redo everything in Settings.
At this point, I'd rather just create a new user account, transfer any user files over including what you can from AppData (you probably need to throw it in another directory first since users normally can't access another user folder other than their own), and nuke the old account.

The only hiccup here would be you need to get rid of the bloatware again and possibly redo everything in Settings.

Solution