Question Need Help Resetting SSD to Factory

Jeff1960

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
Hello all,

I have a 2tb SSD that I purchased for my new build. I was told I could clone the C drive from my old system and install the new SSD in my new build and it would work; well not so much.

Here is what I tried to do;

Remove new SSD from new computer
Put in my SSD enclosure
Connect enclosure to my old computer to try and clean it to factory setting.
Computer freaked out because it was a clone of my original C/Boot.
It only lists it as a "Local Drive F" (have an E drive already)
Then I went into CMD to try and find the drive and clean it. CMD does nothing as admin
I type "list disk" and nothing happens.

Here is where I need your help. I hate to think I wasted $150 on this SSD.

Please help!

Jeff

Here is what I tried to do;

Remove new SSD from new computer
Put in my SSD enclosure
Connect enclosure to my old computer to try and clean it to factory setting.
Computer freaked out because it was a clone of my original C/Boot.
It only lists it as a "Local Drive F" (have an E drive already)
Then I went into CMD to try and find the drive and clean it. CMD does nothing as admin
I type "list disk" and nothing happens.
Have read this multiple times.
Still can't understand, what you're trying to do there.
Could you explain it a bit more in detail?

Add screenshots.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Jeff1960

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
Sorry, I want to take the SSD I cloned and wipe it to new so I can install a fresh SSD on my new build without having to purchase a new SSD. Make sense I hope.

I am not familiar with cloning a C: and boot disk and so I sadly trusted the internet folks to help me. I see I wasted my time.

USAFRet

Titan
Sorry, I want to take the SSD I cloned and wipe it to new so I can install a fresh SSD on my new build without having to purchase a new SSD. Make sense I hope.
No, still not sure what is going on.

You have 2 systems, one old, one new.
The old one had an operational C drive. Correct?

Then....what?

Please give us a FULL description of all the parts involved.
And what you want the end state to be.

Jeff1960

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
I was told I could clone my operational C drive and install the newly cloned SSD in my new computer. But after I cloned the drive, folks here told me it would not work due to the MB, CPU, etc being different. So now that I have this cloned SSD, I want to wipe it clean so I can use it in my new build a fresh, out of the package SSD.

Sorry if this isn't making sense but I am not one of you, I am trying to learn. Whether it is the hard way as I see now it is, but I just want to wipe the new SSD and use it in my new build. They are too expense for me to purchase a new one right now.

USAFRet

Titan
I was told I could clone my operational C drive and install the newly cloned SSD in my new computer. But after I cloned the drive, folks here told me it would not work due to the MB, CPU, etc being different. So now that I have this cloned SSD, I want to wipe it clean so I can use it in my new build a fresh, out of the package SSD.
OK, that now makes sense.

All you need to do is a fresh OS install on this new drive, while it is in the new system.

Win 10 or 11?

During this install, you can DELETE all existing partitions, and continue with a blank drive.