Need help! Scanning and Repairing Drive D

Skipper777

Reputable
May 12, 2015
Hey guys, so I've had my PC for a few months and it's worked fine until now. Last I recall, I was downloading a Morphbox trial and then my computer restarts. When my computer restarted, I was not able to play GTA5 and MKX but I could play smaller games like TF2, etc. Also, I was not able to download GTA5, TERA, and MKX on my SSD anymore on Steam. When I would try to download these, it would say busy writing to disk, I tried installing anti-virus software to see if that would help and when I scanned it got rid of 2 things that weren't harmful. Now, my computer scans and repairs my ssd every time I boot it. Any one know why it works fine and then starts to do this now? I personally think my SSD is the problem and I think I will buy a new one. Any help is appreciated. I have a SAMSUNG Spinpoint M8 ST1000LM024 (HN-M101MBB/EX2) 1TB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive Bare Drive.

edit: At this moment, now trying a full format on my SSD.

Solution

Hi again, Skipper777!

I'd suggest you to try to resolve the 100% HDD activity by disabling some Windows Services that could be the source of the issue. Here's what you need to do:
Press Windows+R
Write services.msc
Disable
1-Super fetch
2-Windows Search
3-Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Let me know how it goes! :)
SuperSoph_WD
Hey there, Skipper777!

Before assuming anything with either the SSD or the HDD, I'd recommend you to test both drives using the appropriate diagnostics tools for both. You can refer to your HDD manufacturer for a testing tool on the hard drive or you can check this link with some third-party suggestions from the community: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility
Here's another one with some SSD testing utilities: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1926483/ssd-diagnostic-tools.html

These will determine the health status on both drives, so you can see which one is causing the issue! Your computer is rather new, so it should still be covered by the warranty. This means that you might be able to get the faulty hardware replaced.

Keep me posted with the results though!
SuperSoph_WD

Skipper777

Reputable
May 12, 2015

Hi!, thank you for answering. I can say after a quick format, I do not have the issue of scanning and repairing on boot. BUT I still cannot download any of the games that I used to be able to. It might actually be a steam problem but it doesn't make sense that I was able to download these games before on the ssd,

Well, it's still worth checking out the health of the drives though. A quick format might be a temporary solution, so better be safe than sorry. I'd also suggest you to re-install Steam altogether and see if that will make the games available for download again.

SuperSoph_WD

Skipper777

Reputable
May 12, 2015

I downloaded the diagnostics programs and they all say my hard drive is fine. I'm still having the problem of the busy writing to disk on steam. I think one of the reasons is that the hard drive I want to use has 100% active time. I don't think it was like this before so I think this is the problem.

Hi again, Skipper777!

I'd suggest you to try to resolve the 100% HDD activity by disabling some Windows Services that could be the source of the issue. Here's what you need to do:
Press Windows+R
Write services.msc
Disable
1-Super fetch
2-Windows Search
3-Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Let me know how it goes! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution