Question Need help selecting a prebuilt, no idea where to start. $2000-3000 CAD range

Dec 20, 2021
My computer of 7 years has run into a bottleneck with its CPU and the mobo is so old that upgrading it isn't really worth it so it's time to get a new PC. Regardless of how many people insist that it's easy, I don't trust myself to handle several several thousand dollars worth of tech without breaking something so I'm looking into prebuilts. Obvious problem being that I don't know a lot about PC specs and don't fully know what I want out of it which makes it hard to research since I don't have a reference point.

The PC will be used for gaming primarily. It would be nice if it's strong enough to stream what I'm doing to a friend when relevant but it's not a big concern. The real issue is figuring out how strong I really need it to be. The best frame of reference I can think of is that my current PC has a GTX 980 and it's been able to run everything in high-ultra settings until around now so I'd like to target something with a similar power level and longevity. I think I'm aiming for 1440p since everyone says it's a noticeable upgrade and my understanding is that that's moving more and more towards becoming the standard (or at least it likely will be at some point within the intended lifespan of this PC) but I don't know how prohibitive that target is.

https://www.newegg.ca/abs-ali576/p/N82E16883360211

This is the only recommendation I've been able to pick up so far but a little bit of asking around got me people telling me that it's vastly overpriced, plus a lot of the customer reviews talking about poorly installed/faulty parts which is concerning.

Sorry if this is all too vague to be useful, I'm trying to figure out how to define what I want while I'm hunting for a PC, so I'd appreciate any help you can offer me!

ssmokeyy

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
That pc is going to be weak on cad. U need a workstation. 2-3k u have alot of good options.
https://www.newegg.com/dell-precision-t7910-business-desktops-workstations/p/1VK-0001-2GZV8 this is a good base system. U can upgrade the cpu's to v4 chips for like 500 bucks. Has everything u need and will last the test of time.
Here is also an hp model u can still do lots of upgrades. These had server grade parts. Last a long time. Psu is not loud as start up. I have a7910 with vega pro and 4 nvme drives 64 gb of ram and 2 hard drives. No power problems.

That pc is going to be weak on cad. U need a workstation. 2-3k u have alot of good options.
https://www.newegg.com/dell-precision-t7910-business-desktops-workstations/p/1VK-0001-2GZV8 this is a good base system. U can upgrade the cpu's to v4 chips for like 500 bucks. Has everything u need and will last the test of time.
Here is also an hp model u can still do lots of upgrades. These had server grade parts. Last a long time. Psu is not loud as start up. I have a7910 with vega pro and 4 nvme drives 64 gb of ram and 2 hard drives. No power problems.
CAD = Canadian Dollars in this case.

TRENDING THREADS