[SOLVED] Need help selecting an external enclosure for 850 EVO SSD

ginahoy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I have an internal Samsung 850 EVO SSD (2.5") that I want to convert to external and I'm confused about various options for Orico enclosures. My mobo supports USB 3.1 gen2 but I'm looking at enclosures that support 5Gbps since my drive isn't fast enough for gen 2.

Orico makes a USB 3.1 gen 1 model that supports 5Gbps (model 2179C3, USB3.1 type C to Type A external interface). But they also make a USB 3.0 model that supports 5Gbps (model 2179U3, USB3.0, type micro-B to type A external interface). Both support USAP. So if USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 gen 1 are both rated at 5Gbps, is there any practical difference between the two enclosures for my purposes?

Solution
I have an internal Samsung 850 EVO SSD (2.5") that I want to convert to external and I'm confused about various options for Orico enclosures. My mobo supports USB 3.1 gen2 but I'm looking at enclosures that support 5Gbps since my drive isn't fast enough for gen 2.

Orico makes a USB 3.1 gen 1 model that supports 5Gbps (model 2179C3, USB3.1 type C to Type A external interface). But they also make a USB 3.0 model that supports 5Gbps (model 2179U3, USB3.0, type micro-B to type A external interface). Both support USAP. So if USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 gen 1 are both rated at 5Gbps, is there any practical difference between the two enclosures for my purposes?
I would get the one with USB C just because you don't have to mess with UP/DOWN...

kanewolf

Titan

I would get the one with USB C just because you don't have to mess with UP/DOWN on the plug.

Solution

ginahoy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Thanks for the advice. I guess I was confused as to why the USB3.0 and USB 3.1 enclosures had the same transmission specs. I just read up on that and I can't say I'm less confused but at least now I know it's not Orico's fault :rolleyes: