Need help setting up a wireless router and a DSL modem

Eddie Castle

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2013
I'm trying to disable the wireless features on the modem/wireless router that came from my ISP (zyxel c1000z), turning it into just a DSL modem so that I can use a different wireless router (Netgear N300).

Do I have to put the zyxel modem into transparent bridging mode, or can I simply disable the "wireless radio" setting in the zyxel modem?

When I run an ethernet cable from the zyxel modem to the Netgear router, which port on the Netgear router will I need to use? I assumed it would be the yellow Internet port, but one article I read indicates it would go into one of the four LAN ports. Then going from the Netgear router to a computer, will I use one of the LAN ports?

When I get into the setup wizard in the Netgear router, do I enter the Netgear router's default IP address (192.168.1.1), or the IP address of the zyxel modem (192.168.0.1)? Also, what is the difference between the "IP Address," and the "Gateway IP Address?" When I go into ipconfig/all with only the zyxel modem/router with its default settings connected, the "Default Gateway" and the "DNS Servers" both have the same address, which is the default address of the zyxel modem. I assume they need to be different addresses?

Solution
Well either the ISP's modem isn't allowing for something to take place or something DHCP isn't functioning properly.

If you connect to the WiFi but give your self a static IP in the wireless adaptor settings. Are you able to connect to the internet?
God I hate Zyxel so much lol their business grade firewalls have the most trashy and feature lacking GUI I have ever seen.

But that fun aside.

If the Zyxel is in bridged mode then you should pretty much be set. Just go in and turn off the wireless radio. If you put any type of firewall or router base behind a modem, you need to enable bridged mode to avoid double nat.

As for the Netgear. I guess we need to get one question answered. Is your plan to use the Netgear as your primary router for wifi and LAN or for only wifi?

If you are using it only for wifi then you have two options. Plugging the Zyxel WAN into the LAN port will allow you to enable the wifi and have it on the same local subnet. If you place the Zyxel WAN into the WAN of the Netgear, then the wifi would not be on the same local subnet. (normally people do this to separate their wifi from their LAN for security)

Now if you plan on using the Netgear as your primary router for your LAN and wifi. Simply plug the WAN from the Zyxel into the WAN of the router, then plug your networking devices into the LAN of the Netgear. Go into the Netgear and I would change the local subnet to something different then what the Zyxel was using for avoid any double DHCP or other issues that might arise from such a config.

As for DNS, you can either enter your own preferred external DNS like googles or opendns or refer to the modems IP to provide you DNS. (this can be done because the Zyxel is in bridged as you stated earlier)

And don't forget to enable wifi on the Netgear.

Eddie Castle

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2013
Hoping to use the Netgear router as primary for Wi-Fi in my home. I currently have a voip adapter plugged into one of the LAN ports on the Zyxel, not sure what placing the Zyxel into bridged mode will do to the LAN ports. If I have to move the adapter over to the Netgear router, that shouldn't be a problem.

Eddie Castle

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2013
What addresses are needed for "IP address" and "Gateway IP address?"

Also, according to what the Netgear router detects, I have a static IP. However, when I log into ZyXEL and go to modem status, it indicates a dynamic IP. Should I just go with what the Netgear router has detected?
Capture.png

Zyxel should have a WAN and LAN configuration. WAN is most likely going to be DHCP unless you purchased a static IP from the ISP. LAN may also be DHCP as well.

Plug a machine into the Zyxel and open CMD then perform the following command IPConfig /all

Post back with those results.

Running DSL in bridge mode tends to be more complex than say a cable modem/router. The main issue is most DSL use PPP to communicate. When you place this device in bridge mode you must move the ppp configuration to the router you connect. The hardest issue is there are small variations in how ISP implement this, some you need a userid and password.

Unless you really need a feature in your netgear router I would run the netgear as a AP. What you are doing in effect is replacing the WIFI radios in the zyxel with the netgear ones.

This is likely where you saw the instructions to connect the LAN-LAN and ignore the WAN port. You would disable the DHCP on the netgear and set its IP to something like 192.168.0.250. You could then disable the wifi on teh zyxek if you wanted.

It really depends why you are doing this. If you need some feature in the netgear it may just be simpler to run router behind router. It should be as simple as connecting the netgear wan port to the zyxel. The downside of this is the double NAT but that is mostly a issue for people who have game consoles. If that is the case you are back to having to bridge the zyxel

Eddie Castle

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2013
Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TP-LINK Wireless USB Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C4-E9-84-18-05-20
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::41ef:572f:4d83:ea85%6(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.30(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 113568132
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-21-84-DD-6A-E0-D5-5E-02-C2-12
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

I've tried checking my IP address, resetting the modem and checking it again, the address changes.

Eddie Castle

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2013
I used the Netgear router for years with a local ISP before having to switch to centurylink and use their DSL modem/router. With the Netgear, transferring files between computers was much faster, and I could stream video from one computer to another. The ZyXEL is very slow compared to the Netgear router.

Basically what bill001g.

However the setting changes based on what you are looking to get from this. If you just want WiFi coming from the NetGear. Then simply plug the LAN into LAN allow DHCP to come down from the zyxel and simply enable WiFi on the Netgear and make sure the Netgear IP doesn't conflict with your zyxel IP (make sure they are not the same)

If you want to actually use the Netgear as your primary router, having it do routing, firewall, DHCP, DNS, LAN and WiFi. Then a whole another configuration needs to take place.

Eddie, can you please clarify what you are looking for exactly?

Eddie Castle

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2013

I would basically like to have the speed back when transferring files between computers that I had with the Netgear router before having to switch to the ZyXEL modem/router.

When you transfer between computers. Is it just between computers on your local network or outside of your network?

Are all your devices connected directly to the modem or router or do you use a switch?

Normally when you do file transfers locally (PC to PC on the same internal network). It is doing those file transfers of Cat ethernet lines and through the switch. Not the router. (unless all your devices plug into the router directly).

Can you please give more information about how your network is laid out? Do you use a switch?

Eddie Castle

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2013
I don't use a switch, not even sure what that is (sorry).

The ZyXEL modem/router is placed in the middle of my house, with a couple of desktop computers in different rooms, and a laptop computer that travels around. None of them are connected with an ethernet cable, they are all connected wirelessly, except for today while I've been trying to figure out how to switch the wireless to the Netgear router. The only thing that is always connected to the ZyXEL through an ethernet cable is a voip adapter.

Ok that makes way more sense now. Thanks!

So yes. As you read originally. What you want to do is the following:

1. Log into the Netgear and change its IP (it is most likely using the same as your Zyxel, 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1) Change it to something else completely different like 192.168.0.254

2. Connect LAN from Zyxel to LAN on Netgear

3. Disable Zyxel WiFi (to avoid channel conflicts etc...)

4. Enable Netgear WiFi and configure it to your needs. (give it an SSID, PW and use WPA2)

If everything is working properly. The Zyxel should give DHCP to the Netgear and allow WiFi to function properly. If it does not, there could be other factors at play such as Zyxel is not configure to give off DHCP. But lets hold off on that for now.

Eddie Castle

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2013
Still can't get it to work. It gets to the point where the lights on the front of the router are green, but won't connect. When I click on setup Wizard, it says are you sure, you already have a valid Internet connection. I went ahead and set up the wireless settings, and it broadcast the network name and asked for the password, but can't connect.

Well either the ISP's modem isn't allowing for something to take place or something DHCP isn't functioning properly.

If you connect to the WiFi but give your self a static IP in the wireless adaptor settings. Are you able to connect to the internet?

Solution

Eddie Castle

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2013

I finally got it to work, turns out I had a bad ethernet cable. I got another router, it was doing the same thing. The last time I went to disable the wireless radio signal on the zyxel modem, I couldn't connect through the ethernet cable. I tried to connect to a couple of different laptops, none of them would get a signal through the ethernet cable, so I decided to try a new cable. Then to my surprise, it worked. Thank you for your help