[SOLVED] need help setting up QOS on frontier router/modem

yamahammer342

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
Hello, I was hoping someone could help set up some QOS on my frontier router. This thing seems to be extremely user unfriendly. I have no idea what any of this refers to and there is no help anywhere i can find. I want to make gaming priority over streaming. Problem is the wife or kid streams something it causes ping spikes in games. So I was hoping to fix that by giving certain applications priority or even giving my PC priority over other devices. I guess either way would work. Below is my QOS page on the router.

frontier.png

Solution
Get a new router is the real answer.

That router just pretends it has QoS. Anything related precedence is almost stupid to have on a consumer router. All these tags are stripped off by the ISP. In addition your end devices would have to actually put the markings on the packet.

If that was not bad enough like most cheaper routers at the very best it can only limit upload traffic. Most people have issues with download traffic.

Pretty much this is a feature they can print on the spec sheet but it does close to nothing.

There are some routers like tplink and asus that allow you to place limits on upload and download speeds. It tends to not work all that good unless you do something like reserve almost all the bandwidth for...
Get a new router is the real answer.

That router just pretends it has QoS. Anything related precedence is almost stupid to have on a consumer router. All these tags are stripped off by the ISP. In addition your end devices would have to actually put the markings on the packet.

If that was not bad enough like most cheaper routers at the very best it can only limit upload traffic. Most people have issues with download traffic.

Pretty much this is a feature they can print on the spec sheet but it does close to nothing.

There are some routers like tplink and asus that allow you to place limits on upload and download speeds. It tends to not work all that good unless you do something like reserve almost all the bandwidth for your game. This will make things like netflix and youtube buffer if they try to run high res streams.

There is are a couple special forms of QoS that are used to fix bufferbloat that tend to favor games and not hurt other traffic too much. I do not think there are any implementation in factory firmware you must load third party firmware. I suspect this is not going to be a option for you because third party firmware is not really supported on routers that have a DSL modem in them.

Most things like video streaming do not use that much bandwidth. If you are having issues gaming I suspect you have a very small internet connection. Mostly you can reduce something like data downloads but streaming video has a minimum rate much like your game. If it can't get this minimum rate it will not function correctly. So in effect someone is not going to be able to use the internet. The only real solution is to have a internet plan that is at least fast enough to support the minimum rates for all the application that need to run at the same time.

Solution

yamahammer342

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
having issues gaming I suspect you have a very small internet connection. Mostly you can reduce something like data downloads but streaming video has a minimum rate much like your game. If it can't get this minimum rate it will not function correctly. So in effect someone is not going to

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah I live out in the sticks so Frontier DSL is my only option. I get about 15 mb down on a good day. I will check into getting a new router and hopefully starlink will be here soon lol.

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah I live out in the sticks so Frontier DSL is my only option. I get about 15 mb down on a good day. I will check into getting a new router and hopefully starlink will be here soon lol.

Starlink just came out of Beta and should be live for the whole U.S. soon. The problem is, they can only make 5,000 client kits per week, and there are like 500,000 people signed up for them. So that's like a 2 year backlog on kits.

The best QOS algorithms are called FQ_Codel or CAKE. these will throttle users in an equitable manner to make the most use of the bandwidth you have.

The IQ router uses these algorithms and is the only real off the shelf solution for non-tech savvy people.

For people that know there way around a webUI of a router, I'd recommend getting an Asus router that you can load Merlin into. Then you can select CAKE under the QOS tab and even set it to automatic if you like. https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/ Make sure you check the list to see which is the compatible with Merlin. Merlin loads just like factory firmware, you don't have to do anything special.

For your Frontier router, you'll need to put that into "BRIDGE MODE" so it acts like just a modem. If you can't do bridge mode, then QOS won't work on the new router.