[SOLVED] (NEED HELP SOON)How much would AMD Ryzen 5 starter 2017 model cost now?

Jun 14, 2020
It was roughly $1300 in 2017 including the monitor, etc. It uses AMD Ryzen 5 1500X processor, GeForce GTX1050 - 2GB, 600 watt - 80 plus gold certified power supply, etc.
Does $650 sound about right for now? I'm going to (was going to) buy the starter package (including monitor, etc) tomorrow but I wasn't sure if it's a good deal.

Solution
No, it's really not a good deal. For 650 dollars, you can get something much better than what that gives you. At least, normally you could. Right now prices are high on just about everything because there is a lack of supply from the Covid 19 situation, but inventory levels are expected to start returning to normal over the next week or two so hopefully things settle down. That is when it would make sense to spend that money.

If you are not able to purchase and assemble your system yourself, then perhaps a prebuilt is the way you have to go but I assure you you don't want a first Gen Ryzen system as they are extremely slow and perform poorly compared to what's been available for the last year or so, even maybe the last two years. And...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The 1500x released at $190, the GTX 1050 was released at $140. Where are you getting that this was a $1300 build in 2017? Even with missing parts that you don't specify (RAM, case, motherboard, exact power supply), I'm not seeing how this was ever $1300 unless the monitor was extremely expensive (and thus inappropriate for an entry-level GPU).

What are the other parts? There's enough information provided to say it was a horrid buy at $1300, but there's not enough info here to say it's even good at $650.

Reactions: candymoon36
No, it's really not a good deal. For 650 dollars, you can get something much better than what that gives you. At least, normally you could. Right now prices are high on just about everything because there is a lack of supply from the Covid 19 situation, but inventory levels are expected to start returning to normal over the next week or two so hopefully things settle down. That is when it would make sense to spend that money.

If you are not able to purchase and assemble your system yourself, then perhaps a prebuilt is the way you have to go but I assure you you don't want a first Gen Ryzen system as they are extremely slow and perform poorly compared to what's been available for the last year or so, even maybe the last two years. And that is incredibly over priced unless there's something we're missing.

Solution
The 1500x released at $190, the GTX 1050 was released at $140. Where are you getting that this was a $1300 build in 2017? Even with missing parts that you don't specify (RAM, case, motherboard, exact power supply), I'm not seeing how this was ever $1300 unless the monitor was extremely expensive (and thus inappropriate for an entry-level GPU).

What are the other parts? There's enough information provided to say it was a horrid buy at $1300, but there's not enough info here to say it's even good at $650.
Exactly. 100%.

Especially since you're in the US, not some 3rd world region where PC hardware is especially hard to come by.

Jun 14, 2020

If you are not able to purchase and assemble your system yourself, then perhaps a prebuilt is the way you have to go but I assure you you don't want a first Gen Ryzen system as they are extremely slow and perform poorly compared to what's been available for the last year or so, even maybe the last two years.

So according to their description, they have:
IBUYPOWER element front and side tempered glass gaming case
AMD Ryzen 5 1500x processor (3.5 ghz)
MSI B350 Tomahawk motherboard
16 GB memory ddr4-2400
GeForce GTX 1050-2GB GDDRS
600 Watt power supply
Asetek 550LC 120mm liquid cooling
1 TB Hard drive

Are these not as valuable as $650? I think the monitor costs less than 100 bucks for sure

Jun 14, 2020

So according to their description, they have:
IBUYPOWER element front and side tempered glass gaming case
AMD Ryzen 5 1500x processor (3.5 ghz)
MSI B350 Tomahawk motherboard
16 GB memory ddr4-2400
GeForce GTX 1050-2GB GDDRS
600 Watt power supply
Asetek 550LC 120mm liquid cooling
1 TB Hard drive

Are these not as valuable as $650? I think the monitor costs less than 100 bucks for sure

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Ah, it was confusing because you talked about a "starter package" which usually refers to part bundles for building a PC. Not just a simple pre-built PC.

You always take it through the nose with prebuilts, but even accounting for that, I would not be interested at this price. They cheaped out in multiple places; I'd immediately recommend replacing the memory, the power supply, the cooler, and in all honesty, the GPU isn't worth buying in 2020.

The part where it says "iBuypower" or "Cyberpower PC" is the part where you say "no thanks" and keep walking. And that even goes for their current models, much less something from three years ago that is being sold for the price of a Ryzen 3600 system with four times the performance and a lot better hardware around it.