Need Help Switching OS from HD to SSD

jewoods

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
So I have been thinking about getting an SSD for a while, and it seems like prices now are pretty good. I have a few concerns about adding another drive to my desktop though.

First, will I be able to transfer over the OS without using a CD or key? A friend installed Windows 7 for me a while ago and I upgraded to Windows 10 alright from that, but he took all the CDs and such with him. Are HD cloning programs reliable to move over operating systems? (eg-Paragon Hard Disk Manager 12 or Acronis TrueImage) Which one is the best?

Second, I heard that most SSDs are 2.5" but my desktop is likely 3.5." From what I understand you can get a mount converter from 2.5 to 3.5" but is there any other compatibility issues I should be aware of?

Finally, when my roommate installed Win 7 (upgraded from Win XP), I partitioned my 500 GB HD. I thought I could simply shift-delete the old partition with the old OS along with it. It successfully deleted about half the files, but couldn't do the rest and now my computer is still dual boot but it gives me an error message and you have to hard reboot if you start up the XP partition. I've set the preferences to avoid that, but I was wondering if there was any way to completely remedy this problem if I switch over to an SSD.

Am I right in assuming if I use a HD cloning program that I can clone one partition and not the other, and then set the new SSD as the primary OS and then clear the entire old HD? How do I clear the old HD once I have the new one cloned? I learned the hard way I can't shift-delete, so I'd like not to make the same mistake twice.

Thanks for helping out the tech newbie.

Solution
Hey there again, jewoods!

Please follow the hyperlinks in my previous post where you will find very detailed instructions on how to perform all of these steps.

As for your Steam library, you should refer to Steam's KB about Using the Steam Backup Feature and Moving the Steam Installation & Games.

No, If you follow the steps mentioned, you'd be able to boot from the USB and install the OS on the SSD with all the Windows Updates that follow a clean install. Since the OS was pre-installed, once you go online it should automatically activate. If it doesn't, contact MS customer support.

Once you have the OS up and running on the SSD and you follow the steps from the Install &...
Welcome to the community, jewoods!

1. It's highly recommended to perform a clean install of the OS when upgrading the primary storage. Since you are using the same computer, you can simply create a bootable USB drive with your Windows version. The operating system communicates with the motherboard thus, it should activate automatically (or you can use the same product key). There are various Windows Install & Optimization guides for SSDs and HDDs you can refer to for assistance with the steps. If you decide to do this, make sure you remember to unplug the HDD when installing Windows on the SSD in order to avoid the OS confusion.

Cloning is the next best option to transfer the OS to the SSD, however, it makes an identical copy of your HDD which means copying some redundant files from the previous installation. This could potentially affect the system performance of your new SSD.

2. Yes, SSDs come only in 2.5" form factor and you might need a specific mounting bracket for it, depending on the PC case. Installing it is no different than any other HDD. Potential compatibility issue could be the motherboard model itself, though. The SSD really needs SATA III (6 Gb/s), unfortunately, you won't be able to experience the SSD's advantages if your mobo incorporates only SATA II (3 Gb/s) ports.

3. IMHO, the best remedy to this would be to start from scratch and clean install both operating systems if you wish to continue dual booting them.

Once you have the OS up and running on the SSD, you should plug back the HDD and reformat it through Disk management. When you do that, you would be able to use it as a secondary storage drive for your data. Despite that, I'd recommend you do regular backups off-site as well. This is the best way to prevent any potential data loss.

Hope I helped. Keep me posted if you have more questions coming my way! :)
Best of luck!
SuperSoph_WD

jewoods

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
So my end goal is to have only one OS. If I don't have many files (basically only some .docx files) that I want to back up, since most of the files on my computer are steam games, are there issues with just copy/pasting the desired files to back them up on the external HD? (I ask this to save on time when backing up all the files, as my current HD is almost full and its 500 GB)

I'm also using the Windows 10 Upgrade Tool to install clean from a USB. It says on the manufacturers website that my AsusTek P8P67 has SATA 6 Gb/s ports. I'm not sure if there is a way to tell from just looking at them if that's actually true. I can see there are available ports (I only have 2 occupied with my 2 HD right now).

But am I to understand that if I :
  • 1-Unplug my HD drives (just for safety)
    2-Install the SSD
    3-Put in my USB and boot from the USB
That my computer will automatically recognize the Windows 10 activation key from my own computer?

Lastly, if I reformat my current HD using the given method, won't I run into issues if I plug it back in right after installing the same OS on the new SSD? Or should I unplug the SSD and plug the old one back in? Or will I be able to run Windows 10 from the SSD without a problem, then open up the disk manager and reformat the old ones that way?

Sorry for asking the same questions over again, I just don't want to mess up my computer and end up with no OS.

Hey there again, jewoods!

Please follow the hyperlinks in my previous post where you will find very detailed instructions on how to perform all of these steps.

As for your Steam library, you should refer to Steam's KB about Using the Steam Backup Feature and Moving the Steam Installation & Games.

No, If you follow the steps mentioned, you'd be able to boot from the USB and install the OS on the SSD with all the Windows Updates that follow a clean install. Since the OS was pre-installed, once you go online it should automatically activate. If it doesn't, contact MS customer support.

Once you have the OS up and running on the SSD and you follow the steps from the Install & Optimization guide, then the boot order is set to the SSD. Meaning that the system will boot properly and you'd be able to access Disk Management and reformat your secondary HDD.

Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution