Need help to Build a server

power2233

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Hi, I am trying to build a server for my office, instead of using buying 5 pc i wanted to use my own pc as a server and then get thin clients, that would save me a lot of the cost for me since we are already low on budget, i got a i7 3770 with 8gigs of ram and 2tb storage on that pc and it has a liquid cooler installed, I need help in setting up my server, i haven't setup a server before but i think id manage with the help from the community of toms hardware, have plenty of faith on this community.

Solution
a thin client will have problems to run confortably heavy excell files, forget the corel draw you mention

it is betterto have real dualciore cpus with 4 gbs of ram, the thin client is ideal for the recepcionist, other than that, not ideal for any of that

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
a server to do exactly what, mail, file shares?

the thin clients are ideal if you find them really cheap but implement them is a annoying at best, a pita to handle i must say

simple used pcs are sometimes more effewctive in terms of capabilities and simplicity, and price of course

power2233

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012

The thing is i actually got the server os its a windows server my friend has he told me he no longer needs it and i can have it, as it goes for thin clients im so confused there are so many 30 usd to the usd i do not have, I already got 2 dummy pc, they got some old dual cores from the core 2 series im not sure of model numbers, and ram Thats like 80Usd more for 16 GB ram, The main thing i am confused about is what is the requirement of thin clients id need? should i get those cheap ones or get that N300's which is still cheaper than buying a pc which would cost trice the each client, Also did i mention i got 5 led monitors already?

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
most thin clients will have a 1 or 2 cores cpu form amd or via, some celerons exist

the thin client usually has 16 gbs of local storage to store the windows image and thats it, the rest is done via mail or on a shared folder, the thin clients are ideal to keep them locked and forget modifications to the os on the hard idsk, most times you run a script hat locks to read only those 16gbs of local storage

most will have 1 or 2 gbs of ram

they are ideal for web browsing, mail, light office and thats it, nothing more

power2233

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012

Used pc... well i got couple of old dual desktop from the core 2 line up, what exactly are the requirements i need to use them? they got like 2 gigs sort of requirement, i am so dumb i was so excited to do this thing i already bought a gigabit ac router to setup all this :'(

Are you wanting a full blown server with active directory and domain, or are you just want a local computer set up as a NAS.

If its more of a NAS (network attached storage) your wanting then you can do it with just a regular windows computer. I would recommend putting in a raid card and running a raid 5 and look into a program called Veeam for backups.

If your wanting to go with a full blown server, I would look to Ebay. I picked up 2 HP DL380 gen 6 servers for about $150 each, 1 runs out CCTV camera storage. The other server I placed offsite and is used to backup our backup server. They are also a great and cheap test environment to learn on. How to install the software, make VM's, make and share file, and set up rules. This was one reason I bought one, was to install and learn Server 2016 data center before getting our new server.

power2233

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Yes i have totally no idea what i wanted until i actually got into it, In the end i ended up wanting to use a 1 server to serve the whole office, I got like 2 old pc (Core2 duo e7500 2gigs) x2, i already installed a gigabit network, 5 monitors, a near server spec pc (i7 3770, 8gb ram, gtx 660ti, 3 drives 1tb hdd, 500gb x2) I know ram is a no go right now but as soon you guys tell me i can run a server and clients from it ill order a 2x8gb, and the os that guy will give me the os tomorrow i guess so id install the os on my main pc, I have already lined up the lan wiring and just wanted to know for sure i can do this or not before ordering thin clients, Also wouldn't a pc would draw too much power? those thin clients can run on a 12v adapter.

And i plan to run 5 thin clients of 1 server and want to setup them nicely so they dont feel slowed in thier day to day work which is like documentation, File Sharing and the main objective to get it done in a cheaper price than getting 5 i3 desktops which is like 1000-1500 usd if i keep the specs at min.

I also plan to play cs go on Sundays on those clients.

Sorry for dumb English.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
for me is not clear why you want the thin clients and the whole array, sounds like you want to use them, not like you need them for what you want to do

the thin clients will not have a real gpu, forget gaming on a thin client, those are extremely basic machines good only for office stuff and web browser

you need to keep in mind what you need, then use what you have for that, not just buy a lot of things and hope for the best without knowing what you are getting into

power2233

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012

I wanted to setup a simple server on the machine i already have that would save me a lot of money, I am not evem sure what nas is and for backups i do them manually every week but i guess since its one machine i might need to setup raid too i guess, wow this thing is really complicated.

power2233

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012

Well to simplify it hmm, My team needs a pc to run Microsoft office, Corel draw and yeah mail and stuff this is what they will do and that's the reason i think maybe it can be done on thing clients but if not maybe then i may need to delay the plans for 5 proper system.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
a thin client will have problems to run confortably heavy excell files, forget the corel draw you mention

it is betterto have real dualciore cpus with 4 gbs of ram, the thin client is ideal for the recepcionist, other than that, not ideal for any of that

Solution

power2233

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012

Thanks for the time and effort you gave to help me, i did had doubts about the whole idea thanks for the help man i am going to try to build 5 pc i already got plenty of stuff id get the rest, Thanks for the help <3

kanewolf

Titan

With GPU enabled Ctrix Xendesktop you CAN do almost anything in a VDI environment. We have users that use AutoCAD, and other engineering software with thin clients. It isn't cheap but it is possible.