[SOLVED] Need help to downgrade the DSi firmware from 1.4.5u to 1.4.5

Dec 23, 2019
I accidenally upgraded the firmware which my r4i card didn't support and so the DSi keeps showing "There is nothing inserted in the Game Card slot" or "...Press and hold the power button to turn off". So guys, please helping me how to downgrade the firmware. I have just bought this DSi 3 days ago. And i don't have enough money to buy a new r4i card, so don't ask me to do that. Thanks.

A new R4i cards is like $10. Buy a new R4i card.

Downgrading the firmware is not really an easy option.

First, where would you even find the older firmware download?

Second, how would you flash it? Nintendo has locked the device down.

You can load custom shells that may give you options to re-flash firmware, but I doubt i can guide you though that process here since it involves bypassing security measures implemented by Nintendo.

Dec 23, 2019
A new R4i cards is like $10. Buy a new R4i card.

Downgrading the firmware is not really an easy option.

First, where would you even find the older firmware download?

Second, how would you flash it? Nintendo has locked the device down.

You can load custom shells that may give you options to re-flash firmware, but I doubt i can guide you though that process here since it involves bypassing security measures implemented by Nintendo.
I spent all of my money into the DSi and now i'm broke. So there's nothing i can do without buying a new R4i card?

As long as i get approval from a moderator i may be able to help you reprogram the dsi in order to allow it to load games and such from an sd card instead

Basically the trick just makes the dsi load a program that reflashes the nand in order to allow it to load programs (including open source applications) from an sd card.

Dec 23, 2019
I still can play games from the r4i card. But sometimes, the DSi freezed when i was playing. And yeah, it's so annoying when you haven't saved the game such as pokemon.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
at only 3 days old, i'd simply return it to the store and replace it. then don't upgrade that one and problem solved.

so much easier than jailbreaking it and all that which if you don't know what you are doing can brick the device.

replace it if you don't have the $10 for the new card it needs.

Dec 23, 2019
at only 3 days old, i'd simply return it to the store and replace it. then don't upgrade that one and problem solved.

so much easier than jailbreaking it and all that which if you don't know what you are doing can brick the device.

replace it if you don't have the $10 for the new card it needs.
Nah, i didn't buy it from the store. I bought it from a guy on the facebook market group, who don't want to play DSi anymore.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
well it was an idea anyway :)

guess you're gonna have to get $10 or start learning how to jailbreak the device and all that fun. i enjoy doing it myself but have bricked a number of devices over the years. never done a DSi but can't be much harder than the other nintendo devices i have done it to.

Dec 23, 2019
well it was an idea anyway :)

guess you're gonna have to get $10 or start learning how to jailbreak the device and all that fun. i enjoy doing it myself but have bricked a number of devices over the years. never done a DSi but can't be much harder than the other nintendo devices i have done it to.
So can you teach me step by step how to jailbreak the DSi?