Question Need help troubleshooting potential SSD, Mobo, or Windows failure

Apr 7, 2021
I started having problems with my PC a few days ago after, from what I can tell, accidentally holding on to my power button for longer than 7 seconds. During that time I assume it power cycled and turned on and off several times, after which my Windows installation, which was on my HDD at the time became corrupt. The files on the disk were fine but I couldn't boot from it anymore, so I installed Windows to my NVMe SSD. My computer worked after the fresh install for about a day. A day later, I left it on overnight as I was downloading a game and rendering a video.

When I checked on my PC the following afternoon (two days after reinstall) the screen was black but my mouse cursor still displayed so I restarted my computer and after the manufacturer logo screen I was brought back to a black screen with mouse cursor displaying. I booted to BIOS and noticed my motherboard (X570 MSI Tomahawk) was not displaying my NVMe SSD. After a few resets it displays my SSD again but does not boot to Windows, so I changed my mobo's boot order so I could boot the Windows installation tool from USB to troubleshoot Windows. But once I did that it stopped finding my SSD. After going back and forth all night, trying things like removing other drives besides the SSD in question, switching between UEFI and CSM, I can sometimes get the motherboard to recognize the SSD but it's not at all consistent. It could be that the SSD is failing (I just ordered an external enclosure from Amazon to check) but it's really hard to know. That seems weird though as I just built this PC 4 months ago, all these parts were brand new.

Anyway. I'm trying to figure out if the Motherboard here is at fault or the SSD. Or is the Windows install glitching on this NVMe SSD? Also is it likely that this could all stem from holding the power button for too long?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customarty to include your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Did you create your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools, before installing the OS? What version of Windows 10 were you on at the time of writing? What version of BIOS are you currently on for your motherboard? Disconnect the HDD from the system and then reinstall the OS, see if you face the same issue again.