Need help updating BIOS on Asrock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer

Sn1ckles

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
A couple months ago, I bought an Asrock Fatal1ty Z87 killer along with the new Intel Pentium G3258. I've decided I want to have a go at overclocking the Pentium before I upgrade to something better, since I kind of bought it for overclocking in the first place! I know I need a BIOS update to support overclocking this CPU (I am currently on P1.10). I've never updated a BIOS before, so I just read a couple online tutorials on flashing the BIOS. I downloaded BIOS version 1.5 from Asrock's website (found here). I converted a regular USB flash drive to FAT32 format and put the update on it. Afterwards, I just left the flash drive plugged in to my PC. Upon booting up and entering the BIOS, I went to Tool>Instant Flash, and waited for it to find the update. And waited. And waited some more. I'm not sure how long it's supposed to take, but I tried and retried several times with no luck. Do I just need to be more patient? I'm pretty sure the longest time I waited was about 30 minutes, but I thought this would be more than sufficient to locate the file! I tried removing and inserting the flash drive again, but that didn't help. Is there something I'm not doing, or something I'm doing wrong? I'd really like to get my BIOS updated so I can get my CPU overclocked, and probably pick up a 4690k later on.

Sn1ckles

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014

Yes and yes. I plugged it in on one of the USB ports on the front of my case though, so next time I might try plugging in to one of the ports on the motherboard instead, just for the heck of it. Thanks for your response!

Sn1ckles

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
No ideas? No suggestions? I'd really like to see if I can get this BIOS updated asap, and it would be good to know if buying the 4690k this Black Friday is an option or not!

Sn1ckles

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014

What exactly do you mean? They way it looks to me, I'm supposed to rely on the Instant Flash utility to automatically find the BIOS update file for me; I don't have the option of doing it manually. The problem is that the automatic option doesn't seem to be working :( What exactly do you mean by "You may need to click on the drive in the screen for the file to appear."? Once I select Instant Flash, it begins searching and doesn't allow me to do anything; the only way to get out seems to be to hit the power button on my computer and boot up again. Are you saying there's some option I should be selecting before beginning the search?