Question Need help upgrading from Ryzen 3 2200g to Ryzen 7 2700

Sep 14, 2019
Hi all, I need help.

Trying to replace my Ryzen 3 2200g with a Ryzen 7 2700.

Note I also have a Radeon RX 580 (so I'm not dependent on the APU for display).

Here is my current build that will not POST: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pMth6s

When I power on, all fans start up, it seems to "rev" once or twice, and then it just stops doing anything. No Beeps. No display.

When I swap back in my Ryzen 3 2200g, everything works fine, get single beep on POST, BIOS comes up, then windows 10.

I have gone through most of the no boot system checklist (but because the system works great with the 2200g, I don't really think there is anything wrong with my system).

I tried removing the GPU and starting up (I know I won't get an display this way). But when I did I got one long beep and three short beeps, which depending on who you ask, for an American Megatrends AMI BIOS, either means memory or video problem.

I have tried single memory stick in all 4 slots.

I have updated my BIOS to version F40.

I've cleared CMOS before installing new CPU (removed battery for 30 minutes).

The most interesting/infuriating/unbelievable thing is the first time I tried to install the new processor, everything WORKED for 4-5 hours. I was playing No Man's Sky, the frame rates were glorious. The next morning I couldn't get it to start (I couldn't get anything to POST). I returned that cpu and got a replacement, and no POST. It's been a week now and I've tried everything and can't get it to POST. But the 2200g still works with no problems when reinstalled.

It seems like a compatibility problem, but everything I've read says the system is compatible. I wonder about APU -> CPU conversion but since video is running through GPU anyway I don't see why it should matter.

Please help, thanks.

Last edited:
You need to list BIOS version was before you started updating to F40.
Then, check all the missed steps you made by not Updating AMD Chipset Driver when required.

If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F32 before F40. A BIOS version update is not completed until you enter setup and load default settings. If you skipped that step, then you never completed the required update to F32.

Sep 14, 2019
You need to list BIOS version was before you started updating to F40.
Then, check all the missed steps you made by not Updating AMD Chipset Driver when required.

If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F32 before F40. A BIOS version update is not completed until you enter setup and load default settings. If you skipped that step, then you never completed the required update to F32.

1)It started at F2.
2)Updated amd chipset driver from gigabyte website
3)updated to F32
4)Don't remember if I did the "load optimized defaults"
5)Updated to F40
6)Definitely did the "load optimized defaults"

If I missed step 4, that could screw things up?

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019
Still stumped. I'm thinking about getting a new motherboard and rebuilding. I've tested everything else I can think of for compatibility. The 2200g is really bottlenecking my GPU.

Can someone explain what might be happening in the motherboard that would cause it to not recognize this specific processor with this combination of other components? It should be compatible... How common is it for manufacturer listed compatibility to not be correct? Is there a way the motherboard could be "broken" that would still accept the 2200g but not the 2700?

To the most recent suggestion, I did not try flashing back to F32, running the load optimized settings, and then flashing back to F40. If this is something I should definitely do I will give it a try. But I'd like to know why that would cause a problem in the first place.