*Need Help* USB Over Current Detected

Anil sadhu

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Hey guys. I was messing around with Arduino and I ended up shorting out 5v and GND a couple times throughout that journey while the Arduino was plugged into my PC for power. Also at one point I had it plugged in view USB for power and connected to a 5v 3a power supply at the same time. Anyways windows ended up giving me a USB power surge notification a few times and the last time it did it, I restarted my PC because I wanted to use the [front] ports again but I met the USB Over current status detected error. I unplugged everything, dusted off the motherboard, checked the USB ports and all and nothing worked. All rear USB ports work but even if I unplug the front USB 3.0 header from the motherboard, it still gives me the error. It's an Asus z270e btw. I also cleared the CMOS but that failed as well. I'm not sure where I even bought it from, probably eBay,, I'll look to see if I have some kinda warranty available if it can't be fixed but I'm losing hope rn :(

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Unplug all USB devices including mouse and keyboard (if USB) and front panel USB headers and extra back panel USB headers (if there are any) from the motherboard and see if it boots. If you have PS2 keyboard leave it plugged in.

If it boots try connecting devices one at a time starting with mouse and then keyboard and so on. Plug in and see if it boots. If it boots update motherboard drivers if applicable.

Shut down and add in one internal plug at a time until it no longer boots. That will be the problem piece of hardware. Also tip the case a bit to see if there's a loose screw or anything like that that might be shorting the motherboard and case and such.

Also check the inside of USB ports for possible bent pins that are touching and shorting.

Anil sadhu

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Sorry for the late reply, my second semester just started. I tried that and nothing is shorting. It doesn't boot even with only the motherboard power, could power, and HDMI out plugged in.