[SOLVED] Need help using 3 Displays GTX 1060 6GB

Apr 29, 2020
Hi, I recently got a 3rd monitor to use, but I was unaware of the "active" and "passive" types of cables and what is required to have multi monitors supported.

I have a GTX 1060 6GB graphics card that has the following Connectors:
1x HDMI
1x Display Port
2x DVI

My monitors have the following:
1- 1x HDMI, 1x DP, 1x VGA
2- 1x HDMI, 1x DVI, 1x VGA
3- 1x HDMI, 1x DP, 1x VGA

The cables I have are as follows:
2x HDMI -> HDMI
1x DP -> DP
1x DP -> DVI (passive? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GPMRXL0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
1x DP++->DVI Female Adapter
I am unsure which combo I need to use/what to buy so I can use my 3rd monitor. Any assistance would be appreciated.. Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
Use cables:
HDMI-HDMI
DP-DP

and get a new cable DVI-HDMI.

Your DP-DVI cable is of no use here. This cable is uni-directional. Works from DP (on pc) to DVI (on monitor). You'd need opposite direction DVI-DP cable instead.
Since he said all the displays and cables were working individually, just not all at the same time, I assume he just got his terminology backwards when he said DVI to DP, and meant he was using the DP to DVI adapter to connect DP to DVI, which should work.

At least, if all the connections work individually, I don't see why they shouldn't be working all at the same time if none of the configurations are changed.
Apr 29, 2020
Any combo that you can plug in. You shouldn't need to worry about passive or active or what port to use.
Hi, I plugged everything in with different combos and I was never able to get a 3rd monitor to work. (the monitor works as do all the cables as I tested them by themselves, I just wasn't able to get 3 to work simultaneously)

Is there anything else you know of I should be checking? Thanks for the input.

Apr 29, 2020
Does each monitor work individually? What cables are you using? What exact gpu model?
yes, each monitor works individually. I was connecting monitor 1 using the DP to DP, monitor two using HDMI to HDMI, and monitor 3 (new one) using DVI to DP.

This is the GPU i have: https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeF...sr=8-26&swrs=AF5B754DFF2FAA8BDA238ACC35626D8C

I ordered a dvi to dvi cable to see if that will work better.. but i am unsure. I looked into the manual of the GPU above and didn't see anything mentioned about max displays.
Thanks for the help!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Max displays is 4 at 1080p. Did you run through nvidia control panel and setup the multi display wizard for 3 displays? Check Windows multi-monitors settings?

DP to Dvi passive adapters are single link, meaning they are only good upto 1920x1200@60Hz. Anything beyond that requires an active adapter. But it only works 1 way, dp at gpu to dvi at monitor.

So M1 dp-dp, M2 dp-dvi, M3 hdmi-hdmi and if windows/nvcp is set, should work.

Last edited:
Reactions: SerasFire
I am unsure which combo I need to use/what to buy so I can use my 3rd monitor. Any assistance would be appreciated.. Thank you.
Use cables:
HDMI-HDMI
DP-DP

Your DP-DVI cable (and DP-DVI adapter) is of no use here. This cable is uni-directional (adapter too). Works from DP (on pc) to DVI (on monitor). You'd need opposite direction DVI-DP cable instead.

Use cables:
HDMI-HDMI
DP-DP

Your DP-DVI cable is of no use here. This cable is uni-directional. Works from DP (on pc) to DVI (on monitor). You'd need opposite direction DVI-DP cable instead.
Since he said all the displays and cables were working individually, just not all at the same time, I assume he just got his terminology backwards when he said DVI to DP, and meant he was using the DP to DVI adapter to connect DP to DVI, which should work.

At least, if all the connections work individually, I don't see why they shouldn't be working all at the same time if none of the configurations are changed.

Solution
Apr 29, 2020
Max displays is 4 at 1080p. Did you run through nvidia control panel and setup the multi display wizard for 3 displays? Check Windows multi-monitors settings?

DP to Dvi passive adapters are single link, meaning they are only good upto 1920x1200@60Hz. Anything beyond that requires an active adapter. But it only works 1 way, dp at gpu to dvi at monitor.

So M1 dp-dp, M2 dp-dvi, M3 hdmi-hdmi and if windows/nvcp is set, should work.
I think that may have been my problem and I didn't realize it- when i was swapping the cables/combos the cable did work- but it must have been when I connected it DP to DVI (Not DVI to DP). I will have to get the DVI to DVI cable to replace the DP to DVI as my GPU only has 1xdp, 1xhdmi, and 2x DVI.

I was unaware they were unidirectional until now

Once I get the new cable I will update on if it is working.

Thanks for all the responses and help

I think that may have been my problem and I didn't realize it- when i was swapping the cables/combos the cable did work- but it must have been when I connected it DP to DVI (Not DVI to DP). I will have to get the DVI to DVI cable to replace the DP to DVI as my GPU only has 1xdp, 1xhdmi, and 2x DVI.

I was unaware they were unidirectional until now

Once I get the new cable I will update on if it is working.

Thanks for all the responses and help
(y)