Need help with a 6TB Western Digital Black HDD.

ROGUE10501

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
Howzit guys,

Okay so long story short I had a Seagate 2 Tb Barracuda drive that failed on me with all my games on it.
I went out and bought a 6TB WD Black Drive to replace the old one.
The only problem is it formats with 1.45 Tbs of space instead of 6 TBs. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.
Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys
Kind Regards
ROGUE :pt1cable:

Solution

You need to re-initialize the drive (which will wipe any contents off of it so make sure you back up your data!)

You can do this using DISKPART in windows:

Open command prompt and type in DISKPART and press Enter
Then type in list disk (Note down the number of disk you want to convert to GPT)
Then type in "select...

ROGUE10501

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014

Okay cool so now I know what to do, but like how do I go about changing the format of the drive to GPT not MBR. Is there like a software program that I have to use or does windows have the software to do it through drive manager or what? sorry Im a bit of a noob when it comes to HDDs ha ha :)

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

You need to re-initialize the drive (which will wipe any contents off of it so make sure you back up your data!)

You can do this using DISKPART in windows:

Open command prompt and type in DISKPART and press Enter
Then type in list disk (Note down the number of disk you want to convert to GPT)
Then type in "select disk" and the number of the disk
Finally type in convert gpt.

Then go into Computer Management, Disk Management, and there you can create new partitions by right clicking on the drive.

Solution

ROGUE10501

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014

Thanks very much man :)
I will give it a shot and see how it goes.
Thanks for the assistance :)

ROGUE10501

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014

Howzit man,

Okay I did everything you said exactly the way you said it and I got a message from disk part saying that the specified disk is not convertable??

What now ? any ideas ?

ROGUE10501

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014

Howzit man,

Okay I did everything you said exactly the way you said it and I got a message from disk part saying that the specified disk is not convertible??

What now ? any ideas ?

ROGUE10501

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014

Okay I got it working using AOMEI Partition Tool :)
Just one last thing, when you are in Disk Manager and you format the drive what Allocation unit size is best to use and what does that even mean or do for you ?? I have it set to default at the moment but was just wondering if it makes any performance difference if you change it to something else.

Thanks for the help.
:)

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
default is fine you don't need to worry about changing that.

Allocation units are about space efficiency, larger allocation size IF you have a lot of large files can perform speedwise better, but for a regular user like you and me its not worth the loss of space efficiency.