Need help with a build please

David Face

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
Hey guys,

I'm new to building a computer and for some time now I've been doing tons of research on it, like how to's and such. Now I want to build I guess a somewhat budget build pc for my brother who love's MMO's and other games, but his current entry level gaming pc is 3 years old and can't handle settings higher then the lowest in most games and fps is terrible. He already has an unopened EVGA GTX 750 ti and a 1TB HDD. So far this is what I have chosen to with those: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/DToma/saved/#savedbuild_1897838

Basically the goal is I went him to be able to run games like ESO(his favortie game) at high settings with the card he was given, but without breaking my pocket. When it comes to the motherboard, I know it has to have a 1150 socket. But I'm a little confused about all the other details such as z97, h97, z87 etc. I wanna make sure this gpu and that i5 will have no compatibility issues with a motherboard. So I'm in need of recommendations, preferably a motherboard $100 tops, however I will consider one more then that if absolutely necessary. Also, I'm not sure whether or not to get a fan and how to pick one. So please, enlighten me.

I just want to thank you guys ahead of time for the advice. I really do appreciate all help.

Solution
Id say this is the best for your money http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fmmDK8

The z97 and other kinds are the type of chipsets for your motherboard. The lower the number is the older version (H87 is older than z87)
Choose a CPU or case fan isn't hard at all, the Hyper 212 evo is one of the greatest coolers and just about all case fans are good in terms of airflow, you'd just have to find one that isn't very loud if it matters to you

Shamar Holtz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
Id say this is the best for your money http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fmmDK8

The z97 and other kinds are the type of chipsets for your motherboard. The lower the number is the older version (H87 is older than z87)
Choose a CPU or case fan isn't hard at all, the Hyper 212 evo is one of the greatest coolers and just about all case fans are good in terms of airflow, you'd just have to find one that isn't very loud if it matters to you

Solution

David Face

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

He does. The only thing that I can use from his old computer is the HDD, everything else is out of the question for good reason... haha.

Hey man I appreciate the advice. I'll definitely consider this mobo.
I still have some time before I order everything for him, so I'm open to any additional suggestions.

Shamar Holtz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014

What kind of HDD does your brother have btw? is it a 5400 RPM? Or a 7200 RPM? The difference is great. I would also recommend a SSD if you can afford it, 120gb are pretty cheap now for an SSD :D

David Face

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
I don't know the exact details to the model, I know it's a Hitachi 7200. SSD is a great idea and I'm considering it. However I'll get him that a little later in the year, I wanna cover everything else first.