Question Need help with a newly built PC

Jun 7, 2020
I finished putting together all of my components of my new computer. I am needing help trying to figure out which component is currently failing me, I'll list my build at the end of this thread. My current thoughts is that either my RAM is defective, or some part of my motherboard is defective, which is going to be very annoying. My motherboard is the MSI B450-A pro Max, and on this motherboard has a "EZ debugger" that has 4 small led lights to test the CPU, DRAM, VGA, and BOOT. These LED lights are supposed to come on, and then, if working correctly/compatible, should then turn back off and then move on to the next light. It starts at the CPU, light comes on and then off. The next light is supposed to be the DRAM, but the light never flashes on, but seems to after a small pause skip to the next light, being the VGA. This light flashes on and then off, next flashing on the BOOT light, which then turns off. After seeing that, im assuming its my RAM. I've tried the "try powering it on with only one RAM stick, trying to see if one works and the other is broken," but I have had no luck in that area. I've tried to connect my tower to my monitor, using both a HDMI and a VGA, and neither worked. I am not able to get any signal from my tower to my monitor, so am unable to get to the BIOS. I am far from an expert, but to me this sounds like a GPU problem, but my EZ DEBUGGER is telling me the GPU is being recognized and accepted. I'm not sure if i need to find another way to test my RAM? And if i come to the conclusion, maybe some aspect of my motherboard, maybe the memory slots or PCI slot is defective? Has anybody experienced anything like this or may know what is wrong? I'm starting to run out of ideas, so any help would be great.

Components:

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
GPU: GeForce RTX 2060 super
Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max
RAM: Crucial Ballistix DDR4 DRAM 8GBx2
SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 1 TB
PSU: 750 W fully modular 80+ gold certified

Strafez

Prominent
May 22, 2020
HDMI and a VGA cable to your monitor but nothing? Sounds like you are trying to plug your monitor to the motherboard and not the actual graphics card outputs itself. The motherboard display ports wont work, especially since your CPU doesn't have integrated graphics. I'd say put your ram sticks back in their correct spots, connect the HDMI cable into the GPU, and wait to see if a signal comes.

Reactions: LeGOATJames
Jun 7, 2020
HDMI and a VGA cable to your monitor but nothing? Sounds like you are trying to plug your monitor to the motherboard and not the actual graphics card outputs itself. The motherboard display ports wont work, especially since your CPU doesn't have integrated graphics. I'd say put your ram sticks back in their correct spots, connect the HDMI cable into the GPU, and wait to see if a signal comes.

What a brain fart. I originally had two problems, and at this time even plugging the hdmi into the graphics chip wasn't working. but when after i fixed the other problem, my mind went somewhere else and i was using the hdmi port not associated with the gpu. Thank you so much for this haha, not sure what i was thining. THANK YOU

Jun 7, 2020
The 2060 Super doesn't have a VGA port, only the motherboard does. The cpu does not have an integrated gpu, so the VGA and other motherboard ports are disabled when using that cpu, you'd need a APU such as the 3400G for them to work.

I got it to work! Thanks for this info though, i feel like part of me knew this, but the other part that was thinking clearly did not lol

Reactions: Strafez