[SOLVED] Need help with a seemingly undiagnosable problem

Jan 2, 2020
Hi,

Everything was fine untill a few days ago. (I cant recall anything that I changed/ did differently). I was starting my computer (windows 10) when;

The problems:

Artefacts appeared on the desktop and other programs (chrome, games, photos, anything graphically demanding) They were symbols, dots and lines of different colours like: {{{}]][......//

Then chrome started crashing constantly, youtube videos would not play and just crashes whenever I played a video, full of artefacts. other browsers like explorer/edge/mozilla would do the same as chrome. Operainstall.exe would just crash.

Games like The Witcher 3 would run, but would be rife with sound popping and visual glitches until they would inevitably crash 2~ minutes after.

Geforce expirience stopped working with the error “cant find a network to connect to”.

It might be important to note that the frequency of chrome crashes is not uniform, sometimes I can open tabs without them crashing constantly for a few minutes, sometimes every single tab I open crashes.

Steam would also not launch due to “invalid steam.api dll or something like that.

The artefacts on the desktop are sometimes there after booting up, or sometimes they appear as a result of running something graphically demanding.

My specs: (have never overclocked anything manually)

i7-7700k @4.20GHz (2 yrs old)
GTX 1080ti 11gb (2 yrs old)
STRIX Z270G Gaming (2 yrs old)
Samsung EVO 500gb SSD (2 yrs old)
8192mb (2x4) DDR4 (2133mz) (2 yrs old)
Cooler Master 750W Bronze (5 yrs old)

Things I have tried ( and I experience the same exact problems after):

DDU and reinstalling graphics driver
Checked all my drivers are up to date using a universal driver updating software
Updated Bios
Reset Bios to default
Disabled hardware acceleration in Chrome
Removed GPU and used integrated graphics
MemTested Sticks of RAM (success)
Re-arranged sticks of ram to different slots
Updates to the latest windows updates (on windows 10, but I couldnt update further than service pack 1 on 7
Formatting SSD and Reinstalling Windows 10 multiple times
Doing the same and Installing Windows 7 multiple times
Resetting CMOS battery
Inspected Motherboard for blown capacitors/ damage (there were/was none)
Disassembled entire pc but motherboard and CPU and thoroughly cleaned it of dust
Tried installing Ubuntu, get all sorts of errors during installation
Replaced PSU*
Replaced Motherboard *
Tried another HDMI cable*
Tried another Monitor*
Tried plugging in PSU into another outlet*
*added later

Conclusion:

This is where I am now, at the bios trying to futilely install Ubuntu.

I have tried to stress test the cpu using intel burn test, but I get no further than 1-3 passes because the exe crashes. Ive also used the intel diagnostic processor tool and it stopped and failed at the prime number test. So this is my only lead, a faulty cpu. However I read somewhere that if the computer boots, the cpu is not faulty.

Thank you for reading, help is greatly appreciated :) And also needed :(

Last edited:
Solution
Anything that is graphic corruption can ALWAYS be related to the integrity of the internal wiring or the pins on the ends of any display cable. Even if it works right part of the time.

I agree though that this is likely not that. It's much more likely that it is a motherboard or CPU issue.
Checked all my drivers are up to date using a universal driver updating software

That's a problem. Don't EVER do that. ONLY, EVER, use drivers that are manually downloaded DIRECTLY from the manufacturers product pages. For chipset, when available, you can download directly from the Intel or AMD websites for whatever chipset your motherboard is. When not available, as with Z390, then download directly from the motherboard manufacturers product page for that board. For audio, onboard network adapters, secondary storage controller or USB drivers not included in the chipset driver package, or any other board related components, get those directly from the motherboard product page. No where else. Ever.

For other devices, such as keyboard, mouse, printer and other peripheral drivers, you should ALSO get those DIRECTLY from the manufacturers website whenever possible, and it's almost always possible, unless the device is VERY old.

Moving memory modules to other slots just CAUSES problems, it doesn't solve them. Your memory should ONLY be installed in the second and fourth slots over from the CPU. Usually, those are named A2 and B2 but occasionally they are name DDR4_1 and DDR4_2, but they are ALWAYS the second and fourth slots away from the CPU for all dual channel consumer motherboards, whether Intel or AMD does not matter.

Get a new PSU would be the MOST likely indication here. Cooler master generally makes crappy power supplies and at five years old, even if it was one of their halfway decent (rare) models, it's likely crapping the bed by now.

What is the EXACT model of your CM power supply?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Artifacting typically indicates a VDIMM problem.

Is your 1080ti overclocked? If so, did you try running it at stock?

Did you try a different slot, or removing it, then running on the 7700K's IGPU?

EDIT: I see you already tried running on the IGPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mezoxin
I agree, it could well be a problem with the graphics card, but given the issues I commonly see on most those CM power supplies, and given the fact that yours is five years old, it could just as well be a graphics card problem CAUSED by the power supply. And since the PSU is three years older than the graphics card, I'd probably lean that way anyhow. Worst case scenario, you take care of the PSU issue first and if it turns out to be the graphics card, at least you already have a suitable, NEW PSU to use with whatever you get to replace it or when the RMA'd card comes.

And whatever you do, I'd do it soon, before the three year warranty is up on your graphics card. PSU is also a much cheaper potential solution than a graphics card if you have to buy one. Might be a good idea to just RMA your GPU card AND replace the power supply.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
I agree with Darkbreeze that you may be wise to replace the power supply as a matter of course, and as a precautionary measure, rather than roll the dice any further.

If you own a digital voltmeter (DVM) and know how to use it, you can measure the wall socket and the PSU rails at the motherboard in both loaded and unloaded conditions for DC as well as AC components to verify whether the values reported by a reliable utility such as Hardware Info agree with the meter.

However, even if the meter and software values agree, without an oscilloscope, you still won't know whether one or more rails have excessive ripple. Regardless, if you do find a low rail, then at least that knowledge will give you additional justification to purchase a new Power Supply. If after connecting the Power Supply the symptoms are unchanged, then I would think that points to the motherboard.

CT :sol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 2, 2020
PSU: Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro (80 plus Bronze)

Also, it’s at least 7 years old...

Thanks for the advice, I‘ll get a new PSU and update if the problem is fixed.

It’s probably related; when cleaning my pc 6 months ago, I also decided to clean the psu. This involved removing the “warranty void if removed stickers” (just cleaned the dust with a brush). So I’m wondering if it has run its course, or is it because of me cleaning it.

I doubt it's because of you cleaning it, but when cleaning the inside of your case on a regular basis it's a good idea to just gently use cans of compressed air to blow dust out, or an air compressor. Be sure to not remain on one spot for a long time so that you don't "frost" components, which will happen with compressed air if you stay in one spot or continue blasting for more than about four second bursts.

Jan 2, 2020
Got a new EVGA 850W G3, problem still occurs (The same exact ones)

This happens with or without the GPU (Tried using integrated graphics by rerouting the hdmi)

Thus I think theres a problem with the MOBO or CPU? (If so, which one do I replace first?)

Try a different cable first. Then, try a different TYPE of output on the graphics card.

If neither of those are the problem, then I'd check to see if maybe the CPU cooler has come loose on one side or corner. An unevenly seated cooler can cause the CPU to cock in the socket and cause a variety of issues such as memory or graphics problems.

If not, then it's probably a lot more likely that you have a graphics card problem than anything else, given that it was working fine and now is not, as @CompuTronix indicated previously.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
DB, until I reread his original post, I missed it where he mention that he had tried the IGPU, which did not change the problem. However, your point concerning a possible faulty HDMI cable is well taken.
... Things I have tried ( and I experience the same exact problems after):

... Removed GPU and used integrated graphics ...
You made no mention of whether you've tried another monitor, or the HDMI input on another device such as a TV.
... If after connecting the Power Supply the symptoms are unchanged, then I would think that points to the motherboard ...

shyeleganttrick,

It seems you've been quite thorough in your troubleshooting efforts. Some problems are just extremely difficult to troubleshoot, especially when you don't have a closet full of parts to swap out. Although another Graphics Card would be to your advantage, not everyone has an extra card on hand.

So as Darkbreeze suggested, if you haven't already done so, try another HDMI cable. If the problem still remains unchanged, then as the CPU does work, in light of everything you've tried up to this point, the next most likely suspect would be the motherboard.
... Geforce experience stopped working with the error “cant find a network to connect to” ...
Unless you're using a discrete device, this statement would seem to suggest a problem with the motherboard, which again makes it suspect.

EDIT: You might want to check that the 3 screws which fasten the CPU retention bracket to the motherboard are snug.

CT :sol:

You know, I guess I looked right past that fact as well. I think it might have been added later, but I do see it in his last post which I indeed overlooked I guess. So yes, not a graphics card issue if you have the same problem with the iGPU. Either CPU or motherboard.

Since all graphics have to go through the CPU at some point, problems with the CPU can inherently show up as graphical problems but usually it's still a motherboard issue being bent pins or something along those lines. Afraid I have to agree with Comp.

Jan 2, 2020
The only thing I have added to the original post was, under “things I have tried”, “Replaced PSU“.

Anyway, the screws which tighten the CPU retention bracket (and all screws around to and relating to the cpu) are as tight as timber. Likewise, the cpu cooler is perfectly in place.

I will try another HDMI cable, but I don‘t see how the multiple software issues (Steam, internet browsers and GeForce experience, i.e,“steam has not installed properly and needs to be reinstalled/steam.dll is corrupt and needs to be reinstalled”) are connected to a video cable. More so trying another monitor.

Thank you for the feedback!
....time to RMA the MOBO.

Last edited:
Anything that is graphic corruption can ALWAYS be related to the integrity of the internal wiring or the pins on the ends of any display cable. Even if it works right part of the time.

I agree though that this is likely not that. It's much more likely that it is a motherboard or CPU issue.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Holy crap!! What the hell is a "crook SSD". LOL.

That's a new one on me Boju. Is that like an SSD that goes through your wallet when you go to sleep? LOL.

Sorry man, I know it's probably a regional slang thing, but I had to have some fun with it. :)

Lol you're not the only one. Maybe i should say problem instead hah.

Crook as in sick, something wrong lol. Im feeling crook 🤧

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It's sounding likely an cpu/motherboard issue if igpu does the same thing, coincidences, maybe. Troubleshooting, moving/cleaning parts could have caused other issues.

Before putting in the effort into swapping out critical components (cpu/mobo) or system overhaul, it might be worth a look trying a different drive. Just - in - case the ssd is corrupting OS/drivers. Could that be possible even if Windows was able to be reinstalled?

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
"Just out of curiosity, and I didn't see it mentioned, did you try using just one stick of ram at a time (in slot 1)?" " What does this have to do with video/display corruption?"
[Multi-quote did not work for my samsung tablet]

Re-seating RAM in the slots is a good housekeeping chore if one is inside the case already.
I googled: RAM...video...display... got hits of stuff that appear to be similar to the stuff mentioned in OP's first post in this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Remeca
Neither of those boards will work with your 7700k. You need a Z170 or Z270 board if you want an unlocked motherboard chipset. Z370 and Z390 will ONLY work with 8th and 9th gen CPUs. They are all LGA 1151 but the first two gens are not compatible with the last two generations of LGA 1151. You will ruin hardware trying to use a 6th or 7th Gen CPU in an Z370 or Z390 motherboard and conversely the same it possible trying to use an 8th or 9th Gen Intel CPU in a Z170 or Z270 motherboard.

No, it was meant for THIS thread. He has a 7700k and the two boards he listed that he's looking at are both Z390 motherboards. The fact that he deleted his comment after I responded to it doesn't make it any less relevant.

I don’t have a different drive at hand and I’ve taken good care of my one thusfar, I’ll just go ahead and swap the MOBO. Therefore I’ve decided to entirely replace the MOBO as I’ve gotten my hands on a new case as well.

However I can’t decide between:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HS41QBK/ref=emc_b_5_t
or
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HS4XS93/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

Any ideas?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No, it was meant for THIS thread. He has a 7700k and the two boards he listed that he's looking at are both Z390 motherboards. The fact that he deleted his comment after I responded to it doesn't make it any less relevant.

Oh ok, i never saw his post before it was deleted. Mistakes happen and posting in the wrong thread sometimes happens, please take no offense.