need help with a si3112 sata driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

xyzzy

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004

(Msg. 1) Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:27 am
Post subject: need help installing a sata driver

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every time I try to install the si3112 driver I get an Install key fail error followed by an install driver error.
I have tried to install it off both a floppy and the nvidia cd and both give me the same errors.
I have no trouble installing the si3112r driver (the raid) version' but I want to use it as my start-up drive.

I have a GA-K8N PRO mobo and the drive is a WD3200ks.

If I can't get it to run where can I download a replacement dirver from --with-out haveing to download a huge driver package?

xyzzy

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
Your link helped me solve the SATA problem but I am also having a minor problem with my PATA drives. ON boot-up the ide scan finds no devices for drives 0-3 - there are 2 hard drives on the prim. and a cds and dvd on the sec.
after I boot up my computer shows all the drives and I can access them and devive manager also shows all the dirve. Is there a ATA driver problem?

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Your BIOS isn't detecting you drives, but Windows is? Strange (assuming you don't have any kind of additional IDE controller card installed).

The first thing I would try, is entering your BIOS menus and make sure that all of your IDE channels are set to "Auto Detect".

Also, some mobos have a problem with "Cable Select" setiings - make sure the master/slave jumpers are set correctly for all of your drives - double check the hard drives as some manufactures require a different setting for "Master with Slave Present" than they do for "Master - only drive".

Finally, if you have a smaller case, make sure you don't have an IDE cable "backwards" - that is, make sure the "Motherboard" end (usually blue) is not plugged into your master drive, and vice-versa.

Since Windows is detecting all of your drives, it isn't a driver problem - it's got to be in the BIOS or the hardware.

xyzzy

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
I disconnected both ide drives and I am using just my one sata drive and I still have the no detect problem. I also found(when killing some extra time) that playing Microsoft's included spider solitire crashed the system I did this several times just to be sure- other wise the system seems fairly stable. It should be -the only changes I made was to replace the 2 ide drives with one larger sata drive and reinstall the system + apps.

xyzzy

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
I forget to mention that on start-up my machine still can't find the ata drives but the cd and dvd players still show up under my computer and devive manager. I still have no problems when accessing them

prim. -- no devices
sec. -- master-- cd
sec. -- slave -- dvd

Status
Not open for further replies.