[SOLVED] Need help with airflow problems please.

Jul 2, 2020
Hello,
I’ve been told that I have a very bad airflow setup in my PC case, following bad overheating problems that i’ve been having under heavy GPU and CPU load. Therefore i have been told i need to change it. I have a medium sized fan right above my GPU bracket that is in-charge of the intake and 3 small fans in the front that push the air inside and back through under my GPU and out of my case through the brackets. I’ve noticed hot air build up in the metal case top and it almost becomes too hot to touch. I would much rather buy a new case but the fact of taking all the parts out and putting them into a new case kind of scares me. Help!

Solution
It sounds to me like you have 4 intakes not an intake and 3 exhausts.

In which case you absolutely will get hot air buildup in the case.

There is no way a 1080ti will need repasting. Leave it well alone. Its not for the uniniated at all.
Jul 2, 2020
Here are the specs:
  • 1080 ti EVGA double fan
  • i5 8500 CPU
  • Arctic Alpine 11 CPU cooler
  • 1 intake and 3 exhaust setup

How would i go about checking the rpm of all my fans? Ill post a picture with that info.

Jul 2, 2020
I on average get about 70C GPU temps when i am gaming, but when i play for about 30 minutes it goes up to 90C and further then shuts off. Idle temps vary from 50 - 55C. My CPU temps function normally but i feel like my case fans counteract the CPU fan, therefore it may heat up too once in a while but the temps normalize. Its definitely the GPU.

gdds_01

Reputable
May 5, 2020
I on average get about 70C GPU temps when i am gaming, but when i play for about 30 minutes it goes up to 90C and further then shuts off. Idle temps vary from 50 - 55C. My CPU temps function normally but i feel like my case fans counteract the CPU fan, therefore it may heat up too once in a while but the temps normalize. Its definitely the GPU.
Have you already changed the GPU's thermal paste?

Jul 2, 2020
No, i’ve changed the CPU thermal paste a week ago but have not changed the GPU paste, not sure if i would be able to take apart the GPU itself.

gdds_01

Reputable
May 5, 2020
No, i’ve changed the CPU thermal paste a week ago but have not changed the GPU paste, not sure if i would be able to take apart the GPU itself.
I can tell you're not well-acquainted when it comes to hardware, but there are good tutorials on YT and internet forums that explain how to change the GPU's thermal paste.
If it was never changed, then that could probably be the problem. But, obviously, you should only do it if you feel comfortable since there's a risk in doing so.

It sounds to me like you have 4 intakes not an intake and 3 exhausts.

In which case you absolutely will get hot air buildup in the case.

There is no way a 1080ti will need repasting. Leave it well alone. Its not for the uniniated at all.

Solution