Question Need Help With An Interesting FPS Dip Every 15 Mins

Corsa1r

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2015
Basically the title is my issue- I had noticed awhile ago, every once in awhile, I would notice an fps dip in a game I was playing. It wasn't until I noticed this more and more that I actually recorded my fps and frametime graph for half-hour to an hour, just sitting on a game menu. and sure enough, every 15 minutes I get a dip in FPS for half a second (IE it will drop from 120 fps to 115 for half a second, then up to 120 again until the next 15 minute drop) This manifests as a stutter in any game I'm in. This doesn't seem to have anything to do with how complex a 3d scene is, as this happens on any game and even on menus where there is no 3d acceleration happening. I have recordings I can upload if needed, but my specs are

OS: Windows 10 Pro (completely updated, and all drivers are up to date)
RAM: Corsair Dominator 16gb ddr4 ram 3000 mhz
MOBO: Asus z170-a (BIOS 3802- latest)
PSU: Corsair RM1000x (2 months old)
SSDs- Samsung 870 EVO (OS)-- SK Hynix Gold Nvme ( most games on here)
Chassis: Thermaltake F51 Suppressor
Monitor- Asus ROG STRIX XG27AQM
CPU: i7 6700K
Ventus 3x RTX 4080 (waiting on new parts to upgrade my whole rig, it also happens on my 1070)

I messed around with clean boot, disabling USB devices as well as some Windows services involving USB/controllers and nothing helped there. I suspect it has to do with Windows itself, but event viewer shows me nothing happening every 15 mins. Any ideas at all? This is driving me crazy- thanks!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
Please include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Might want to see if using DDU to remove all GPU drives then manually reinstalling with the latest drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, helps you out.

Any overclocks on the processor?

Corsa1r

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2015
I think I updated everything now in that format on my original post. I have tried using DDU recently and no change, also the processor is Oc'd to 4.5 ghz, yes. Maybe I should try to revert to stock? I will try that. Thanks for your help so far.

Is this in a house or apt, and have you tried plugging the PC into any other outlets? Are there any major appliances that might be cycling on and off that are on the same circuit?

Also, are you running any 3rd party software in the background, and if so, have you tried disabling them one at a time?

I was going to say that's a fairly old CPU to be running with a 4080, but if you insist the same thing happens on a 1070, I'll take your word for it, though I'm not sure it would be as bad when it does.

That is also a very outdated MB to use with either of those GPUs though, especially the 4080. For that reason I would recommend running MSI Afterburner while playing, with things like GPU/CPU usage, as well as GPU/CPU Power Draw shown onscreen.

Last edited: