Question BSOD and crashing after SSD upgrade on laptop ?

Aug 16, 2024
Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing a strange problem with my ASUS TUF A15 (2022) laptop, and I'm hoping someone here can help me figure it out. I really appreciate any advice or insights you can offer.

Here's the situation:

I originally had a PCIe Gen 3.0 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD in my laptop, but I upgraded to a Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe Gen 4.0 SSD about a year later because I needed more storage(Laptop supports PCIe Gen 4 SSD). After installing the new SSD, I did a fresh Windows installation on it and formatted the old one. Since then, I've been having persistent issues with blue screen errors (BSOD) and crashes, especially when the laptop is not plugged in. Here’s a breakdown of what’s happening:

When the laptop is plugged in:
- If I do a cold boot, the laptop goes straight to a BSOD. It either restarts on its own or I have to force shutdown with the power button. Occasionally, it goes to the recovery screen after the two BSODs, where I just need to click on "Restart" to use my laptop.
- This happens twice before Windows finally loads, and after that, everything runs perfectly fine without any further crashes.
- The BSOD error codes are different every time.
- If I shut down the latpop after using and then power it on within 5 minutes, it usually starts up normally without any BSODs.

When the laptop is not plugged in:
- The same BSOD pattern occurs—two BSODs before Windows loads. However, after a while, the screen goes black, and the mouse freezes. I then have to force restart the laptop, and this cycle repeats two or three times before it sometimes stops crashing.

This issue has been going on for a few months, and I’m not sure why it’s linked to whether the laptop is plugged in or not. A few additional details:
- I’m also unable to put my laptop into sleep mode without it crashing. Whenever I try to wake it from sleep, I either get a black frozen screen or a BSOD. This happens consistently, making sleep mode unusable.
- All drivers are up to date, including battery drivers, SSD drivers (both through Windows Update and Driver Easy), and I’ve also tried a clean installation of the graphics card drivers.

If anyone has experienced something similar or knows what might be causing these issues, I would be extremely grateful for your help. Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Jom George