[SOLVED] Need help with choosing parts

Hi,so my friend wants to buy cpu and mobo.
his budget is around 500$
He says he wants a cpu and mobo which will suport the next gen ryzen.
I have suggested 2 options.
Either go with ryzen 5 3600 (280$)and b550 mag tomahawk (270$) <-He might not have money for this cpu+mobo option,so we will figure something out
or go with ryzen 5 2600 (200$ )and MSI X570-A PRO (240$) <-also is this x570 good?
What do you suggest?
Also 1 more question.Will B450 (specifficaly tomahawk max) support next gen ryzen?
If so he can go with 3600 and b450 tomahawk max since its cheaper and hes not decreasing his cpu performance,as if he went with 2600 and x570
Thanks in advance

Solution
any motherboard will need a BIOS update for the 4000 series. as for compatibility we have no idea yet as they have not come out. all we know is that AMD said b450 and up would work with a BIOS update. there will likely be a new chipset to go with them as well but it won't be needed for the new chips.

the tomahawk and the mobo's i listed are all ready for the 3600 no problem out of the box. so that's not an issue.

sounds like your friend has watched too many youtube videos by people who don't know what they are talking about. BIOS updates are a routine and easy to do update these days. the "max" part of the tomahawk is actually dual BIOS so the update can be done on that second slot and if anything goes wrong, the first slot is still...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
according to AMD, the b450 boards will support the 4000 series cpu's with a BIOS update. i honestly do not see the value in a b550 board unless you want to use the pcie 4 ssd's which are still pretty expensive.

i'd go for the much cheaper b450 board with a 3600. it is unlikely the 4000 series will be worth the upgrade price right away anyway. i just built a 3700x system on a b450 board and don't think i'll have any need to upgrade to the 4000 series when it comes.

Thanks,much appreciated.I told him that.Its not like the 4th gen ryzen will be a million times faster than the 3rd gen.Acording to the people of the internet,MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX is the best B450 board out there,so should he go with it,or you recommend some other b450 mobo.If you do,can it please be ATX.Thanks for the help.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i went with a gigabyte b450 aorus pro wifi. but it was a good price at the time and its impossible to find now.

"best" mobo is relative. if it has the features you need/want at a good price, then it's the best option for you. you don't need a crazy high end board for a 3600. at 65w it won't use any over-engineered power deliver system. it's just not needed. you can likely save some cash and go with a lesser b450 board if it has what he needs on it.

for instance the aorus elite is $109 bucks and will likely have all he needs.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gM...us-elite-atx-AM4-motherboard-b450-aorus-elite

for about the same price as the tomahawk, you can go b550 with the aorus pro version

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/39...pro-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b550m-aorus-pro

can you tell i really like my aorus pro mobo :) great features for the money

i went with a gigabyte b450 aorus pro wifi. but it was a good price at the time and its impossible to find now.

"best" mobo is relative. if it has the features you need/want at a good price, then it's the best option for you. you don't need a crazy high end board for a 3600. at 65w it won't use any over-engineered power deliver system. it's just not needed. you can likely save some cash and go with a lesser b450 board if it has what he needs on it
his main problem that he is scared to death of bios updates.He wants a upgradable,good,and speciffically RYZEN 5 3600 READY motherboard.
I'll try to get rid of his phobia when he wants to upgrade to the next gen ryzen.So i quess tomahawk max is a perfect option.Also i dont know why,but he has a emotional connection with that mobo.He always wanted it,i dont know why.Thanks for you help.
Also 1 more question,which might be weird.Will tomahawk max support like top of the line 4. gen ryzen 9 chips,and is it even safe putting it in that mobo?He is not planning on any cpu overclocking,just ram.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
any motherboard will need a BIOS update for the 4000 series. as for compatibility we have no idea yet as they have not come out. all we know is that AMD said b450 and up would work with a BIOS update. there will likely be a new chipset to go with them as well but it won't be needed for the new chips.

the tomahawk and the mobo's i listed are all ready for the 3600 no problem out of the box. so that's not an issue.

sounds like your friend has watched too many youtube videos by people who don't know what they are talking about. BIOS updates are a routine and easy to do update these days. the "max" part of the tomahawk is actually dual BIOS so the update can be done on that second slot and if anything goes wrong, the first slot is still good to go and working. kinda nice to have. the aorus also has dual BIOS. maybe that will help calm your friend down some :)

Solution
sorry i didnt see the links at all.You probably edited your reply.
That aorus board is way more beautiful than the tomahawk max+it is in stock in our local online shop and its 140$ which is perfect.
I dont know about that b550 version.Specifically because its micro-atx and im sure it lacks some features.
Anyhow im gonna tell him about the b450 aorus board you recommended so its on him to choose between tomahawk max and aoros elite.
Thanks so much for your help man,stay safe