Need help with computer upgrade! Sapphire R9 390.

Zraaviisen

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
Hey guys! First time posting here, but i got a question.
Right now i've got a AMD FX-8350 and a ASUS M5A97 R2.0 motherboard inside a Cooler Master CM Force 500 Midi Tower case.
I'm going to upgrade my old GTX 660 card to a Sapphire Radeon Nitro R9 390 and change my old Corsair CX 500M to a new Corsair CX 750M.
Will everything run smoothly (without bottlenecks etc.) And will everything fit inside the case? Also, anything i should change?(I'm thinking of another upgrade in the future, like case changes and motherboard changes)

Worth mentioning might be that i changed the stock AMD cooler to a Hyper 212 EVO.
Thanks in beforehand!

Upgrading to R9 390 will pose no problems (make sure to upgrade to Intel CPU+mobo in the future), but picking up a CX series PSU is a bad choice. CX series PSUs use low quality capacitors and are not high quality at all.
Check out this PSU Tier List at Tom's. Anything from Tier 1 and 2 are a safe buy: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Anything from EVGA Supernova GS, G2, P2, and Corsair RM Series are as high quality as one can get.
XFX 550W/650W/750W and Supernova B2 750W alongside some Seasonic S12-II PSUs are your best choices for Tier 2.

Zraaviisen

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015

Thanks you so much for the list!
I will look into upgrading to a better PSU in the future, but my budget can't really stretch that far right now and the reason why i chose the CX 750M was because of Black Friday sale dropping the price 50% which i think is a good deal.
Can anything bad happen if you combine the graphics card + CX 750M?
(Forgot to mention before that my CPU is OC'd, not by much but it's still there)

Zraaviisen

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015

Thanks for all your help man! Appreciate it alot. I've already ordered the CX, the price dropped even more now. It might not be good right now, but I can't stretch my budget any further. I will upgrade to a EVGA Supernova G2 in some months or so though. I hope everything will be okay in the meantime.

Most of the time the intel will give no improvement at all. The exception is if a gamer has a 144 Hz monitor and/or plays older games

Yes you have published that link before . It shows that if you OC an FX processor by 500 MHZ and an Intel processor bt 1200 Mhz then the intel is sometimes making a higher fps .
What you havent mentioned, or just do not know , is that a 60 Hz screen will NEVER actually display more than 60 fps . EVER.
If two computers are running at 60 fps and 80 fps they both appear on screen to the end user as 60 fps[ which is 60 Hz] . The 80 fps build is not "better" in anyway in terms of the users experience .
And arguably smart builders wouldnt waste their money on fps they will never see because the monitor drops them and never displays them

Yes, but it also depends on the game and the graphical settings. Crysis 3 for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-y7SjTA0hA

So you are saying all he has to do is start playing 8 year old DX 9 games and an intel costing 60% more will really pay off?

Actually, I was all angry at you at first and went on to look at benches. Wherever I look, I see i5 winning in most games but FX being better in BF4 etc.

Then I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE

I wanna say one thing to you.

Thank you.

One other thing to consider is the price differential .
And FX 8320 costs $90 less than a 4690K . Even when there is a performance difference its marginal or non existent thanks to monitor technology [ as I explained earlier ]
But with the FX build you have $90 more to spend on a graphics card and that will often let you push the image details higher

TRENDING THREADS