[SOLVED] Need help with CPU cooler mounting hardware

Jun 19, 2021
Hi, I've built a few pcs now but I've not come across this before... I have an Acer DA078L-AM3 Motherboard,
ACER%20DA078L-AM3_2.jpg

Any help on what mounting hardware type I can use would be great, it might seem really obvious to you, but I'm not sure, thanks :)

Solution
praise the lord, I found it, it's the
ACER HI.10800.028 cooler and doesn't need and mounting bracket

Yes it's s standard cooler for Intel CPU like the 775, in fact there is a mounting bracket that is on the other side of the motherboard.

If your motherboard already has the bracket, the fan will install without problem (given that the clearance with the capacitors is good).
Jun 19, 2021
It seems that this motherboard uses the same CPU cooler retention bracket for both Intel and AMD CPUs, sort of universal cooler mounting bracket.

Can you please confirm that the CPU cooler mounting screws form a square?

yeah they form a square, I've measured them too and it clearly won't fit any standard am3 CPU brackets

Jun 19, 2021
Brands like Dell, Acer... don't always follow standards.

You might have to remove the old retention bracket and replace it with a standard LGA 11xx mounting set like this if the dimensions are similar.

467e9067-dcea-4af8-a1b1-ff2a831a8186.JPG

thanks, ill try this, i cant find any non standardized Acer brackets, so it might be the only way

praise the lord, I found it, it's the
ACER HI.10800.028 cooler and doesn't need and mounting bracket

Yes it's s standard cooler for Intel CPU like the 775, in fact there is a mounting bracket that is on the other side of the motherboard.

If your motherboard already has the bracket, the fan will install without problem (given that the clearance with the capacitors is good).

Solution
Jun 19, 2021

yeah, thanks for the help

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
A friend of mine purchased an HP desktop with the 1st gen Ryzen inside. It was spec'ed with an R3 and we updated it to the R5 that the motherboard was compatible with. I was quite surprised to find that the cooler inside was LGA 11xx. I supposed that HP's fabs have so many Intel (like) coolers on hand they just opted to stick with it.

Reactions: lvt