[SOLVED] Need help with CPU not detected or failed

Cybereyes

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 ACE Motherboard
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Royal F4-4000C18Q-128GTRG 128GB 4x32GB DDR4 4000MHz Memory
Video Card: MSI RTX 3080 Ti Gaming Trio 12GB
Power Supply: Seasonic PRIME PX-1000

So I just finished my first water cooled build. It has taken me about 3 weeks and more money that I want to admit but its done. filled it up with liquid and powered it on to get nothing. The motherboard has some EZ debug LEDs which says the CPU isn't being detected or failed. Basically the worst possible error, especially on a water cooled machine since it is no easy task to get to the processor. The odd thing to me is that the light doesn't stay on, it goes off intermittently but then comes right back on. There are several codes that are being displayed but none of them come out and say anything meaningful, more of less just post checks that aren't getting done. \

So far I have taken all the RAM out and power it up and when I did that only the RAM light stayed on, the CPU light never lit. I then put one stick of RAM into my 2nd slot and it came up like usual and the CPU light kept coming on and then off again. I have some cable extenders for the CPU power but I took them off just to eliminate any cable issues. Same problem. I double checked that the CPU cables are plugged into the right spot on the PSU and that I'm using the right power cable, which I am and with this PSU its all dummy proof and the cables literally say CPU on the end of them. The motherboard has two 4+4 connectors for the CPU and I have them both connected. I read somewhere that some MBs wont put power to the CPU if you don't have something connected to the fan slot, but as I am water cooled that isn't possible. I'm also pretty sure I already tossed the box and stock fan because I was going to plug it in just to eliminate that suspicion but Its gone. The MB manual says nothing about this either.

The only thing that has worried me with the CPU since day 1 was with the CPU water block. It came with the standard springs and screws but when I put the springs on and screwed it all down it wasn't fully seated against the CPU. I only know because I had to take it off for a reason I don't remember and I noticed the heat sink was barely even touched. I'm used to the fan firmly planting itself onto the CPU and spreading out the paste across the processor, but this looked to barely be even touching. I had no other springs and they were clearly fully compressed so I took the springs off and screwed it down tight. I'm hoping I didn't screw it down too tight, if that is a thing. Ive never had an issue with the springs not allowing for the fan or in this case the block to fully seat. This is about my 4th build but my first water cooled build. I usually build a new PC about every 5 years or so. I'm going to be draining the fluid and pulling the CPU tomorrow unless someone has any other ideas to try. Really bummed right now. Pic below

IMG-4832-1

Last edited:
Solution
if its new build which never POSTed before, check your bios version if you have correct bios for your CPU
there should be sticker on mainboard with bios version on it
its not really visible on your picture, but 8pin EPS (top left corner of mobo) is connected?
if its new build which never POSTed before, check your bios version if you have correct bios for your CPU
its not really visible on your picture, but 8pin EPS (top left corner of mobo) is connected?

Solution

Cybereyes

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013

Yes I have two 8 pin connectors at the top left connected. This motherboard had two 8 pins and they are both connected. Im not seeing any stickers indicating bios version. Would old bios prevent the processor from being found? The only thing that has me curious is that the light doesn't stay on like the RAM light did when I took the RAM out. It comes on when I first power up and then goes off and then just comes on for about 5 seconds and goes off for about 3 seconds and then comes back on continuing that cycle.

you are sure this board supports your CPU out of the box?
the board supports the processor based on all information available to me.
Would old bios prevent the processor from being found?
what information available to you?

if this board was released before this CPU model was, then there's a chance it is not compatible out-of-the-box without a BIOS update.
exactly why i asked if it was supported.

there will be a QVL for supported memory & CPUs available on the manufacturer product support page for this board.
it will list which CPUs are supported and which BIOS version may be required for a CPU.

Yes I have two 8 pin connectors at the top left connected. This motherboard had two 8 pins and they are both connected. Im not seeing any stickers indicating bios version. Would old bios prevent the processor from being found? The only thing that has me curious is that the light doesn't stay on like the RAM light did when I took the RAM out. It comes on when I first power up and then goes off and then just comes on for about 5 seconds and goes off for about 3 seconds and then comes back on continuing that cycle.
old bios would prevent to boot up your pc
was looking around for some closeup picture to find where you bios is located (with sticker on it)
and its covered with that plastic near pcie express slots (plastic named audio boost hd)...so ummm
lucky you, you can flash bios without POSTing
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C35v1.2.pdf page 59

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I updated the power supply and yes the board supports the processor based on all information available to me.

"The board supports the processor" and "The BIOS version is updated so that the board can use the processor" are two very different things. Let's establish that your situation is number the latter rather than the former before we worry about larger issues.

This motherboard was released in July 2019. The CPU was released in November 2020. It's extremely likely that you don't have a BIOS version that's been updated for the CPU; most X570 motherboards will need a BIOS update for this reason. A sticker on the motherboard somewhere could give you a clue about what BIOS version you have. If you did no BIOS updates on your own, it's likely you don't have a new enough BIOS version.

Cybereyes

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
"The board supports the processor" and "The BIOS version is updated so that the board can use the processor" are two very different things. Let's establish that your situation is number the latter rather than the former before we worry about larger issues.

This motherboard was released in July 2019. The CPU was released in November 2020. It's extremely likely that you don't have a BIOS version that's been updated for the CPU; most X570 motherboards will need a BIOS update for this reason. A sticker on the motherboard somewhere could give you a clue about what BIOS version you have. If you did no BIOS updates on your own, it's likely you don't have a new enough BIOS version.

Sounds good. I will work on that and keep my fingers crossed that it works and will advise after.

Cybereyes

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013

Yeah no dice. I wasn't optimistic about that working because I see there is a sticker stuck to the box that says AMD Ryzen 5000 Desktop ready. I did it and it still has that slow flashing CPU light on the MB going off. Not posting.

your board serial # or UPC should have an indication of when the board was mfr'ed - that'll give you an idea of the bios version associated with the board.

depending on stepping you need version 7C35v1F or 7C35v1C - so it may be 5000 ready but not necessarily your 5xxx
Yeah no dice. I wasn't optimistic about that working because I see there is a sticker stuck to the box that says AMD Ryzen 5000 Desktop ready. I did it and it still has that slow flashing CPU light on the MB going off. Not posting.

Cybereyes

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
your board serial # or UPC should have an indication of when the board was mfr'ed - that'll give you an idea of the bios version associated with the board.

depending on stepping you need version 7C35v1F or 7C35v1C - so it may be 5000 ready but not necessarily your 5xxx

Either way I did flash the new bios and it still does not work. Same flashing CPU light on the MB. I uploaded the 7C34v1F bios. I think I will try to contact MSI as well to see if they have any suggestions on how to pinpoint the problem being either the MB or the CPU. I would assume the CPU light would stay lit steady instead of a slow flash.

Cybereyes

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
Not much interest in this one, but I found the problem and want to post what was causing it for future reference. I have no idea why this was causing the problem but here it is.
I solved the problem, and maybe one of you can tell me why this was an issue. So yesterday I started pulling SSDs and in the process I had to pull this little PCI card that was supposed to give me more USB type C headers since my motherboard only supports on type C header and I couldn't find a splitter like the USB 3.0 headers use. My case has two USB type C ports and I hate having dead ports. Someone on another forum showed me this card and I bought it and hooked it up. Anyway after I pulled the card to get to my SSD's I booted and the system no longer got an error for the CPU, it was getting an error for not knowing which drive to boot from. That sounded good to me so I hooked up the monitor and it was in bios. I slowing started adding in more SSDs and rebooting until I had them all in and it booted to BIOS every time so I was clueless as to why but happy none the less. After installing windows and getting everything else going I decided to start putting back on things I took off like my cable extenders to the CPU power and that little PCI card. When I did and booted it back up I started getting that CPU fail error again. Turns out the whole time it was that stupid card. But why? A pic of the card is below.

IMG-4836

TRENDING THREADS