Need Help with DDR4 Memory

ScottNY

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016
Hello, can i please get some advice on DDR4 memory?

It is for a new build with an MSI Z170M Mortar mATX mobo and an i5 6600K chip. I have never overclocked, nor am I a gamer, but I do sometimes work with large file collections and am slowly converting my CDs to FLAC.

Is 16gb [2 x 8gb] enough for me? Also, I was thinking maybe 3000 MHz instead of the cheaper 2166 to help future-proof my build and allow me to do a little overclocking if I ever figure out how and for what I would use it. I am not looking to break the bank, but I know RAM is a very important component so I would like a few good value/performance options to look for during the big holiday sales coming up.

Thanks!

infamousk12

Honorable
May 2, 2013
From what I gather, 16gb is sort of the new-ish up-and-coming standard, even for games. Having a good amount of ram will be helpful if you are regularly messing with very large files or working with large programs in general. I have 16bg of 3200mhz ram and I have can several tasks and processes running and the system runs very smooth. A good amount of ram will increase the speed in which your computer runs and handles tasks, depending on the program. If you see a good enough deal for black friday on 16gb of ram, go for it.

ScottNY

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016

Thanks. Any brands you particularly like or ones you think I should avoid?

infamousk12

Honorable
May 2, 2013
There are many brands, I have been a long time Corsair fan. I recently did a build with some Dominator Platinum ram, I have it running in XMP, and it's been perfect.

Outside corsair, I would be open to trying G. Skill ram. I hear good things about the quality of that ram.

ScottNY

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016
Okay, now the RAM is getting confusing. I am limiting my search to Corsair and G.Skill per infamousSK12's advice, but the more I read, the more confused I am. What is the difference between two-channel and four-channel RAM in the real world? I was planning on getting 16Gb RAM [2 x 8Gb] and either 3000mHz or 3200mHz. How do timings and CAS play in to this? Also, are the higher RAM speeds only reachable via OC'ing even if the chip is rated at the higher speed? If so, what is the best, cost-effective RAM [not necessarily budget] for me with the MSI Z170M Mortar mobo and the i5 6600K CPU. At the top of the thread there is more info on how I use my PCs. Thanks!

infamousk12

Honorable
May 2, 2013

Oh, boy.
Dual-channel and quad-channel ram has a big difference in the real world, depending on your use. However, it all depends on what chipset you're running. The more ram slots you take up, the more stress you will be putting on the memory controller. I myself run a dual channel config. Your motherboard manual will tell you if your board is rated for either dual or quad channel. Timings and CAS represent the timing and latency of the ram. The lower the latency, the better. On DDR4 ram, it is higher, but the higher clock speeds reciprocate for that. If you get RAM anything over 2133mhz, you will have to enable XMP (overclock) to run it. All motherboards come with a section in the manual with certified ram that has been tested and run certain speeds.

I suggest you do some research on YouTube and learn more about ram and about what your true needs require. There are countless videos from many great YouTubers that can be of great help.

ScottNY

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016
Thanks. I always forget to check YouTube for things like that. I will do that and in the meantime, I am aiming for something with a latency of 15 in the 2800-3200 range. I am amazed at how small the price difference is, so I will let that help with my decision, too.