[SOLVED] Need help with Dell Precision 7810

Aug 22, 2020
Hello,

I have been having an issue with my Dell Precision 7810.

Recently, it was giving me the error message of "correctable memory error has been detected in memory slot DIMM2_CPU1". I have 64GB of ram total 8x4 per CPU. I have since replaced the ram, swapped it out and just checked every single ram stick to confirm that there was not a bad module. I think it is something else.

When I put one stick in everything works fine and that is the DIMM2_CPU1 slot so I don't think the slot is defective on the motherboard. What I was thinking is perhaps it is a power supply issue? When I first received the PC two months ago, I noticed that it did take about 20 seconds for the Dell logo to appear. I was not sure if this was normal or not (I could live with this though.) When I upgraded the video card, not too long after I had this ram issue. The video card is a RTX 2080. My power supply is the 685W. Perhaps this is too little power to run everything? Now I just get the amber blinking light on the power button (memory issue by the code) unless I reduce the ram.

I ordered a 825W replacement PSU in hopes that this will fix the issue.

*I just powered up the machine again this time and after giving me a flashing light serval minutes ago it powered up ok with 32GB of ram but its random.

Here are the exact specs:
Dell Precision 7810
CPU: x2 Intel Xeon E5-2690v3
Ram: 64GB DDR4
GPU: RTX 2080
Storage: x2 7200 HD 6TB as raid 0 format, x2 1TB SSD as Raid 0. 1 512GB Nvme drive with pcie adaptor as boot drive running Windows 10 Pro.
x1 PCI express blackmagic 4K SDI card.

I appreciate any help!

*Okay, so I am definitely leaning more towards power supply. I put back the 64GB of ram, powered it up, it powered up ok with still DIMM2 error. Shut it off, got the amber light. Powered up again got the amber light. Came back twenty minutes later PC turned on again.

Last edited:
Solution
Supported Memory Types
  • PC4-2133R - 2133 MHz1 DDR4 Registered DIMMs (RDIMMs)
    • Single and Dual rank
    • ECC only
    • Sizes 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB (when available)
  • Load Reduced DIMMs (LRDIMMs) and Unbuffered DIMMs (UDIMMs) are not supported.

raykneale

Honorable
Oct 5, 2017
Supported Memory Types
    • Single and Dual rank
    • ECC only

Solution
Aug 22, 2020
Supported Memory Types
    • Single and Dual rank
    • ECC only

Thanks! Confirming that I am using PC4-2133R - 2133 MHz1 DDR4 Registered DIMMs (RDIMMs).