Need help with downloading operating systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CandyCornGamer

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015
Hi, I'm currently in the works of buying parts to build my gaming PC, but have never touched an operating system before. I need to buy an OS for my PC, but I have a few questions before doing so. Firstly, I want to buy 8.1 students as a download. Now I currently don't own a PC so I can't buy it yet. I plan to use my friends PC to help out and download the OS. If I download the OS using his PC, will it try to install 8.1 onto his PC and override his current OS, or will the program just download without doing anything else? If it does the latter, then is it possible to just put it onto a flash drive? Or will we have no choice but to have it install 8.1 to his computer? I'm sorry if I didn't explain it right, I never thought about the OS until now. Will it be easier and better just to buy the disc?

CandyCornGamer

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015

But the question is, will downloading the OS automatically start to install/override my friends current OS? And will that put the entire OS onto the USB stick, or just an ISO?

CandyCornGamer

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015

So that means I can use my friends PC to download 8.1, and extract the ISO to the USB stick and it WILL NOT try to download 8.1 as his OS? Also, what happens to the download then? Will it stay on his PC? I apologize for all my questions.

CandyCornGamer

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015

Thank you so much! I have just one more question, won't I need to download the windows 7 DVD tool thing and Rufus to put the ISO to a USB stick?

CandyCornGamer

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015

You're an angel XD I just have few more questions. First, what size USB stick would I need for it? In terms if gbs. Secondly, so I just buy it, download it, click "install media creation" Then what?

4GB or larger.

Buy it on MS website and follow instructions. It should ask you whether you want to upgrade this PC, or create media. Pick create media.

Insert USB drive into your new PC, and boot off it. Enter product key (which they should send to you in an email, I think. Haven't bought windows direct from MS myself) when prompted.

CandyCornGamer

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015

Thank, but I mean after I create media, then what? Will it make a file on the desktop? What does it do, then do I just drag it into the drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.