[SOLVED] Need Help with Ethernet

Sep 6, 2020
Recently i moved my PC to a different room. I went under my house and moved the Ethernet cable. (Both rooms are under 25 feet from router.) The Ethernet cable worked fine in the other room. Once i moved it to the new room i only get 500Kbs instead of my normal 13Mbps. However when the cable is above ground it gets normal speeds. Ive used 3 different cords and the same thing has happened to all three. I dont know what to do next.

Solution
The cable can't really tell where you ran it. If it got wet or something maybe but if the cable works coiled up on the floor by the router it should work fine when you string it though the wall or whatever.

Actually the cable should be connecting at 100mbps or 1gbit even if it is being limited by your internet connection. Check the status in the network setting and it should show you the actual connection speed.

The only way it would run slower is if you were getting lots of data loss. You should see this if you ping the router ip.

It could be that the cable is getting crimped or pinched in some way. Quality ethenet cable is pretty tough but if you are using that flat or thin cable it has all kinds of strange issues. That...
The cable can't really tell where you ran it. If it got wet or something maybe but if the cable works coiled up on the floor by the router it should work fine when you string it though the wall or whatever.

Actually the cable should be connecting at 100mbps or 1gbit even if it is being limited by your internet connection. Check the status in the network setting and it should show you the actual connection speed.

The only way it would run slower is if you were getting lots of data loss. You should see this if you ping the router ip.

It could be that the cable is getting crimped or pinched in some way. Quality ethenet cable is pretty tough but if you are using that flat or thin cable it has all kinds of strange issues. That is part of the reason flat/thin cables are not certified ethernet cables.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

TRENDING THREADS