[SOLVED] Need help with external HDD partitioning

fish212

Reputable
Dec 20, 2019
Hi,

I have a television that only supports external HDD up to 2TB.

I have a 5TB external HDD.

Is it possible to partition this HDD in a way that 2TB is used to store the media intended to play on the tv but at the same time another (or several other) partition(s) on the drive could still be used for back up purposes of other files?

I really don't want to buy another HDD drive, just for my TV. Just like I also don't want an external player like a shield or something like it.

The TV recognizes NTFS, FAT32 and exFAT.

Thank you

Solution
I'm wondering whether the 2TB limit is really saying that the TV only recognises MBR partitions.

One other thing to be aware of is that many external drives are configured with a sector size of 4KB. This could be a problem for some TVs.

If the TV does have a 32-bit LBA limit (2TiB), then it will only see a capacity of 601GB (= 5TB - 4TiB).
Hi,

I have a television that only supports external HDD up to 2TB.

I have a 5TB external HDD.

Is it possible to partition this HDD in a way that 2TB is used to store the media intended to play on the tv but at the same time another (or several other) partition(s) on the drive could still be used for back up purposes of other files?

I really don't want to buy another HDD drive, just for my TV. Just like I also don't want an external player like a shield or something like it.

The TV recognizes NTFS, FAT32 and exFAT.

Thank you
Just partition it as you would any other disk but depending on TV you may need to keep all multimedia files in root folder of first partition.

I'm wondering whether the 2TB limit is really saying that the TV only recognises MBR partitions.

One other thing to be aware of is that many external drives are configured with a sector size of 4KB. This could be a problem for some TVs.

If the TV does have a 32-bit LBA limit (2TiB), then it will only see a capacity of 601GB (= 5TB - 4TiB).

Last edited:
Solution