Question Need help with fan curves

StarKiller84

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019
Hello,

I've been having issues with some higher temps while gaming, around the 80c to 84c range,
I've asked quite a few people and some say these temps are fine, others say these should be lower.

Personally I would like to see them lower, maybe around the 70c range, so I decided to try setting a custom fan curve using MSI afterburner.
Being completely new to this I don't really know what good values are, currently I have this: View: https://imgur.com/a/XQTBOvW

This seems very taxing though and temperatures are still not perfect, so I would like to get some other opinions.

I also had a few questions,
  1. If I close MSI afterburner completely, not just minimizing to tray will this stay? And if it does not open on startup will it still stay?
  2. If I don't want the custom fan curve anymore and I just want to go back to the default for the GPU, how would I go about that?
  3. Is running fans constantly bad? With the default fan curve the fans didn't start spinning till it got over 50c or so, I don't know the exact number, now I have it spinning at 30c+
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Forgot to add spec list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6xNjD2

Last edited:
  1. It should still run in the background.
  2. You just untick use user defined software on the top of that window.
  3. Fans running is not bad, for the most part the card will be obsolete before the fans die.

Generally though, I dont think fan speeds are your issue, especially if that curve isnt improving temps, I think your case just has very bad airflow.

StarKiller84

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019
  1. It should still run in the background.
  2. You just untick use user defined software on the top of that window.
  3. Fans running is not bad, for the most part the card will be obsolete before the fans die.
Generally though, I dont think fan speeds are your issue, especially if that curve isnt improving temps, I think your case just has very bad airflow.
Thank you for the answers!

And yeah I tend to agree, the case has a normal sized fan vent in the back, and 1 fan vent on the top, but the front has a little tiny tiny fan vent that probably isn't pulling much air in at all.

What would you recommend I do without having to buy a entirely new case? Or am I just going to have to deal with it?