Need help with first time boot and such

OneLegacy

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
I thought building pc was the hard part, haha no. After building it I spent hours trying to figure out what is wrong with my pc and I'm kinda out of options at this point
I need help finding out what drivers to get and how to disable onboard graphics from my motherboard and use my actual graphics card
There's so much I have to do ughhh
Link to my parts http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qDLdRB

Does anyone have any suggestions on what drivers to get for my build or what programs to install for a first time boot?
I have windows 8.1 64 bit
Sorry if I seem to be rambling on or not making any sense I'm really frustrated at the moment and I don't know what to do

OneLegacy

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
What I mostly need help with: Disabling my motherboards onboard graphics and put my GTX 960 to use, install necessary drivers, free antivirus and suggestions on any programs needed/useful for a custom pc (non prebuilt)

Nearly all drivers should be downloaded from the company that made your motherboard. For example, if you bought a motherboard from company AAA, and the model number was BBB, you would go to AAA.com and search for motherboard BBB, and on that page, look for a Downloads or Support link. That should get you all of the drivers for the items on that motherboard. Those drivers are tested to be sure they work as expected with your motherboard.

Two main exceptions to that. Intel drivers, and video drivers. You get the Intel drivers and Intel Video drivers from the Intel Download Center. And both AMD and Nvidia have video driver download pages to get those from.

In your BIOS, which you normally get prompted to press DEL or F2 to access the BIOS during the boot process, there should be a setting in the PCIe section or Video section to make the PCIe graphics choice the primary or to disable integrated graphics. Its different on each BIOS, but the info you need is in the motherboard manual.

If you are unable to get to the internet, there is a disc that came with your motherboard which will have older versions of drivers that will get you up and running so that you can reach the internet and get the latest drivers. Some motherboards also come with a program that will check and see if there are newer versions of the drivers you need, and they will also normally let you tell them to download them and install them for you.

Getting an antivirus installed and running should be one of your first priorities once you can get online. Even if it is just a free one. Some protection is better than no protection.

Best Antivirus Software and Apps 2015
by TOM’S GUIDE STAFF Aug 11, 2015

That covers paid and free antivirus software and malware software. It is a very good, informative article.

OneLegacy

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015

I'm already on the new PC, I've booted from it and I am having troubles such as switching from onboard graphics to my 960, I do not know how to open BIOS after already booting for the first time