need help with HDD not showing up in bios

marcinsokolski42

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
hi guys, Im having trouble with my computer. My hard drive is not showing up in the bios. im certain that its plugged in all the way and have tried using different wires for both power and sata with no luck. the power is plugged into the same plug on my psu that my graphics card was in and i know it works. and the data is plugged into a sata in the 3rd sata port on my rog strix z370-e gaming mobo. the hard drive is spinning up at first before the computer fully turns on but then stops before it boots or as soon as i open bios. i am booting from a (not sata) m.2 drive, the samsung 960 evo.

the sata ports have never been used for anything before and this is a brand new (less than one month old build all parts new from box).
before this issue i had an issue with a corsair h115i water cooler that didnt seem to want to even turn on or light up and i just gave up. I'm temporarily using a aircooler but thats an issue for another day. i just wanted to throw that in there. thhe only similarities between these problems are they both use the same type of power connection from my psu (the double wide sata type power plug) but i can feel the hdd spinning for a few seconds so idk what it could be. i have updated bios to the newest version as well to see if that would help but no luck.

ive been a lurker at this community for a while now but this is my first post / question. im really scratching my head here on this one, im wondering if maybe the mobo is bad? everything else works fine though and the computer is very quick. This is running on windows 10

Reactions: dinos0ar
Solution
if that doesnt work. check your BIOS. defaults may have disabled all your SATA.
go to advanced. pch storage config. sata controllers. check if sata_2 is disabled. enable it. connect your ssd to it. and see how it goes.
if that doesnt work, get a SATA to USB adapater/enclosure and connect your ssd with it to your pc to ensure your SSD actually works or just faulty. and return it to the shop and get a replacement :)

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
after connecting the SATA power cable from your PSU, did you connect the SATA data cable to your drive as well? make sure its propely plugged in. if you did so. try from other SATA pins on your MOBO. i think your board shares bandwidth with SATA_1 if you are using your nvme as your system drive. try SATA_2 and above.

marcinsokolski42

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
wow thanks for responding so fast, and yes its plugged into both ends and i can feel it spinning and turning on but it wont show up in bios. in the bios it shows 6 sata ports and for each one there is a N/A next to it

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
if that doesnt work. check your BIOS. defaults may have disabled all your SATA.
go to advanced. pch storage config. sata controllers. check if sata_2 is disabled. enable it. connect your ssd to it. and see how it goes.
if that doesnt work, get a SATA to USB adapater/enclosure and connect your ssd with it to your pc to ensure your SSD actually works or just faulty. and return it to the shop and get a replacement :)

Solution

marcinsokolski42

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
sorry took so long to come back. just tried the 15 sec power button thing, did it for 45 sec just to make sure, everything disconnected. had to pull out the gtx graphics card to reach the m.2 slot under a heatsink to take out my ssd. anyway it didnt work :/ and the hard drive im trying to make work isnt a ssd, its a 6tb toshiba x300 hard drive, plain old school hard dtive, my m.2 ssd works great, its not sata tho so its unrelated to this issue but i pulled it out momentarily just to make sure. i also reverted my bios to default but i guess the power button does that anyway. gonna try to check bios to see if its disabled

marcinsokolski42

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
thing im worried about is that it might be my mobo since the cpu water cooler, the corsair h115i, didnt work either :/ oh also i just forgot to mention, i did try another ssd an older sata 2 connection ssd with like 64gb that i had lying around and that wasn't showing up in bios either i forgot to mention that. brb gonna check bios

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
if youre worried about your mobo before sending it to the shop, check your CPU socket pins first on your mobo. you may have bent some of the pins (or scammed by the shop by selling you a board with bent pins :/ ). you can attempt to fix it yourself, youtube on aligning cpu socket pins. its easy as long as you have a bright flashlight, magnifying lens/phones zooom camera, a long thin metal stick/tweezer/thick needle and steady hands.

about your corsair aoi, make sure its connected to the cpu_fan header. and the other to your radiator fans.

marcinsokolski42

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
Sorry I'm getting back so late, I was playing with the bios and messing with it a long time last night with no luck. And yes the water cooler also was connected properly to the cup_fan and I also tried the aio_pump connector just to be sure. Other than that it was also connected to the wide "sata style" power connector to the psu. The osu is 800w gold so I can't imagine not having enough power.

Is it possible it's an issue with the cpu socket pins? Could that even affect the sata connectors? The cpu runs fine, i even benchmarked it with some programs and it was runinng in the mid to high 90's percentile, 96 but I'm not sure, it's an i7 8700k. wouldn't wanna take it out and mess with the thermal paste and whatnot unless there was a clear connection between the sata and you connections though. As you may have noticed I'm not extremely knowledgeable about these things. The physical connections though I'm 100% sure they're in correctly. I've also tried multiple wires so it's not the wires

marcinsokolski42

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
Also in the bios I did check to see if the sata connections were enabled and they were. I messed with those settings a lot, changing to hot plug, etc even though I don't know what that even means just to try every possible option one at a time and it still just shows all my sata ports as n/a. I've also tried switching to a different sata port

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
yes lets not have you opening up that cooler and cpu before more damage could be caused than necessary.
heres the checklist so far. btw what HDD are you using?

* all driver updates/BIOS are latest (you can check that with the EZ upate tool)
* all SATA ports are enabled (Advanced > PCH Config > SATA6G_2 > Enabled)
* SATA are AHCI (by default)
* both SATA data and power cables attached (image below)
* no detection in Disk Management
* no detection in Device Manager

is this checklist right so far?

mEckEtvSTvu7ECFFpzzVjg.png

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
maybe it could be as simple as removing the jumper in your HDD? :/ if you have another computer or a sata to usb adapter that can actually test if your harddisk works or not. is it a brand new HDD? did you set RAID on it (if its an old drive)?

i hope you enabled them accordingly as well.
Pp3w39PaRnOMiovOtRu_KA.png

marcinsokolski42

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
No it's brand new and I'll have to ask my father to try with his computer I guess. I get home from work around 10pm eastern time so hopefully he's willing to try. Also where is the jumper located? I didn't change anything on the drive since I took it out of the box so if I have to like peel some small plastic piece off or something I'm gonna be pretty embarrassed lol

marcinsokolski42

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
When you say did I enable them accordingly you do mean the sata ports? I did not plug anything into the mobo to enable them in the same way as with my USB 3 ports which I had to plug a physical wire into the mobo to connect the USB ports so that they work

marcinsokolski42

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
ok new developments!!!
so ive got a little case for the hdd which is an adapter to usb 3. ive plugged it in and it works.. also now i know that before the hard drive was not actually spinning up properly. it was just spinning a tiny bit. nothing like it is now. so the issue is not with the sata port. i believe it has to do with the power. my power supply has 2 types of ports. theyre all 8pin female ports but 4 of them are black and 4 are red it appears i may have had the wrong type of wire for the wide "sata power".
since i had a wire with a black connector but it would only fit into the red plug on the psu. this also explains why the water cooler wasnt working earlier either since i was working with the wrong wire i think.

marcinsokolski42

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
thank you for sticking with me and trying everything i feel like a dumby now that i realize it wasn't actually getting enough power and was just barely spinning, definitely not audible.