Question Need help with Kolink Observatory Midi-Tower case fans RGB

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2023
Hello! Let me start off by saying I know absolutely nothing about computers and such. About 4-5 years ago I had a friend send me a list of PC components and I forwarded that list to a PC store and let them build it for me and set windows up on it. Basically a custom PC, but I didn't put it together myself.

Everything was working perfectly until a few years in I broke the remote controller that came with the rgb fans so my fans were stuck on being orange. I was not against this so I let it be orange for a few more years. A couple days ago from now (04/05/23) the rgb on the fans started changing colors out of nowhere and it looked like it was going through the cycles that it would if it was on display in a store. After a few minutes the lights went off and they haven't returned. The fans are still working properly, but there's no FPS and skill-boosting lights!

I investigated myself if any of the connections on the RGB hub had come loose, but everything seems in order. One thing that seemed odd to me was that on the kolink observatory manual pictures there is a connector that says "reset SW" on it, but in my case it's called "Powed LED" and It seems to be connected to the power indicator LED on my PC. I have no idea why the RGB stopped working all of the sudden and I also have no idea how it WAS working in the first place since it doesn't seem to be connected like kolink made it to be connected.

I am happy to post any pictures/videos of whatever you think you would need to inspect to maybe get my lights back on? Thank you so much for taking time to read this and thank you for your help!!

Update: I found the reset sw and it's connected to my motherboard. I will post some pictures to maybe clarify the setup.

UPDATE AGAIN: I connected the reset button on the pc to the RGB Hub. I now can control the fan rgb with the reset button of the PC. (Thanks to @Aeacus btw)

The new issue I have is changing the brightness of the lights. I can only press "next mode" with the reset button and currently the lights are so dim they are barely visible.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I have no idea why the RGB stopped working all of the sudden and I also have no idea how it WAS working in the first place since it doesn't seem to be connected like kolink made it to be connected.

This is how the RGB worked before:
the remote controller that came with the rgb fans

-----

As far as i understood, your RGB fans have 2 control methods:
#1 Remote control (via IR signal).
#2 Via button (the "reset SW" you found).

Since your remote is now toast, you can not control the LEDs anymore. However, if your PC case has reset switch and you connect it to the RGB controller, to the port stated in manual, then by pressing the reset button, you can switch between LED profiles. Downside is that you'll loose reset function of your PC, since the reset button isn't connected to MoBo anymore, but to the RGB controller.

May 4, 2023
This is how the RGB worked before:

-----

As far as i understood, your RGB fans have 2 control methods:
#1 Remote control (via IR signal).
#2 Via button (the "reset SW" you found).

Since your remote is now toast, you can not control the LEDs anymore. However, if your PC case has reset switch and you connect it to the RGB controller, to the port stated in manual, then by pressing the reset button, you can switch between LED profiles. Downside is that you'll loose reset function of your PC, since the reset button isn't connected to MoBo anymore, but to the RGB controller.
Here are my issues though:
1. I do not have a "reset SW" cable. Instead I have something called "Power LED" and it's used up for the power on/off indicator on top of the PC.
2. I took out the reset button hoping the "reset SW" was there, but it's just a mechanical switch there.

Maybe I should post some pictures to clarify things.
Thanks for your reply

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Here are my issues though:
1. I do not have a "reset SW" cable. Instead I have something called "Power LED" and it's used up for the power on/off indicator on top of the PC.
2. I took out the reset button hoping the "reset SW" was there, but it's just a mechanical switch there.

What you need, IS the mechanical switch. The "power LED" doesn't do anything and won't give you any control. But mechanical switch (e.g reset button), would allow you to switch between different LED profiles. Hence why "reset SW" is labeled on it.

May 4, 2023
What you need, IS the mechanical switch. The "power LED" doesn't do anything and won't give you any control. But mechanical switch (e.g reset button), would allow you to switch between different LED profiles. Hence why "reset SW" is labeled on it.
I will try to connect the reset sw to the power led wire and I guess I can't restart my PC anymore after that. I'll have to think about if the RGB is worth losing function in the PC.
Thank you so much @Aeacus for you replies!

May 4, 2023
Alright I connected reset sw to power led and by holding the restart button I can activate the RGB and switch between some modes. But the brightness is on the lowest setting so It's almost invisible there is even RGB. Is there a way to manually adjust brightness?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
and I guess I can't restart my PC anymore after that

This i did say:
Downside is that you'll loose reset function of your PC, since the reset button isn't connected to MoBo anymore, but to the RGB controller.

-----

Is there a way to manually adjust brightness?

Fix the remote. Or get a replacement remote.

Best would be replacing the RGB fans with better ones (better control method).

May 4, 2023
This i did say:

-----

Fix the remote. Or get a replacement remote.

Best would be replacing the RGB fans with better ones (better control method).
Threw away the remote after trying to tinker with it a bit too much to fix it. I would love to get a replacement remote, but I have no idea what kind of remote would work or if just any rgb remote would have the same frequenzy to match with this rgb hub. I'm sorry I am dumb when it comes to these things, but I understand it's infrared signals and I tried using TV next to the hub since it's IR as well, but nothing.

What kind of remote would work and would I have to tinker with it anyhow to work without changing the current fans/hub?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

USAFRet

Titan
Hello I also have a problem with the RGB hub for the kolink observatory which I bought second hand without knowing it needed a remote control and I think I found the problem which is that the power maxal cable that powers the hub has 1 of it's pins loose but I cant find a replacement anywhere and dont know its exact name for both ends. Would greatly appreciate anyones help
Please start a NEW thread for your particular situation.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS