Question Need help with Lian Li fans and PC PartPicker saying I don't have enough PCIe slots and USB 2.0 headers

Haliax68

Prominent
Sep 8, 2022
As the headline says, I'm trying to put together a sweet computer build for my nephew for this Christmas! So excited to build this thing for him, he's gonna FLIP! His parents are going to pay for it all and were hoping I'd put it together for him. They said to make him something super nice and like my build I did. They say it a few weeks ago and flipped out. Here's my build I did. It was my first time building a computer and knew next to nothing when I started. But read a TON of articles online, watched videos, asked some questions here and it turned out amazing. Worked the first time I jumped it and so did all the fans, RGB lights and AIO. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jv7yGP

So they want me to build him an all white computer with the RGB fans like I have. His Dad said, "just build something almost exactly like yours, he won't shut up about it." So I now see Lian Li now has these amazing new Uni TL fans that look fantastic and I want to use those for his build! To me, they look even better then my SL-INF Mirror fans I have. But the problem is, when I put the O11 D Mini case, the Gigabyte B650E AORUS ELITE X AX ICE ATX AM5 Motherboard and the Lian Li TL fans (normal or reverse), it says there are some warnings of parts not working? It says the build needs 2 additional 6 pin PCIe power connector slots? And that it needs 1 additional USB 2.0 header.

But the weird thing is, I see loads of others using the exact same case, 9 Lian Li Uni fans (either SL, INF or TL) and a Mobo that only has 2 PCIe x16 slots and 2 USB 2.0 headers. And yet the whole thing works for them?! Whereas the Mobo I have picked out for my nephews build is the Gigabyte B650E AORUS ELITE X AX ICE ATX AM5 Motherboard and it has 3 PCIe x 16 slots and 2 USB 2.0 headers. So 1 more PCIe x16 slot than most of the other builds I'm seeing.

So how are these people getting all 9 Lian Li SL, INF or TL fans to work with their Mobo if it doesn't have enough PCIe slots and doesn't have enough USB 2.0 headers?

Then it got me thinking, can I can just plug these 2 additional 6 pin PCIe connectors from the Lian Li TL fans onto the 2 free remaining PCIe x 16 slots that will be empty on the Mobo I picked out? According to the build, it says I'm only going to be using 1 of the PCIe x16 slots for GeForce RTC4070 GPU. But that 2 of the 3 will be open and not used. So hopefully I can just plug those 2 additional 6 pin PCIe connectors into there?

And then what about the additional USB 2.0 header? How can I get around that or make that work? I looked at all the White or Silver/White Mobos that will work with the AMD Ryzen 5 7600x chip and only three of ALL of them have 3 USB 2.0 headers. And yet, almost every single build I've seen on PC PartPicker, using the Lian Li O11 D Mini case (that uses 9 Lian Li RGB fans) has a Mobo that only has 2 or 3 PCIe x16 slots and 2 USB 2.0 headers? Not the websites claimed 3 or more PCIe slots and 3 USB 2.0 headers.

So how are these people doing this?! I'm lost here. I did message one of the people, but haven't heard back and figured more eyes would be on this question here.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

PC PartPicker build list:

ComponentSelectionBasePromoShippingTaxPriceWhere
CPUAMD Ryzen 5 7600X 4.7 GHz 6-Core ProcessorAMD Ryzen 5 7600X 4.7 GHz 6-Core Processor$196.78
Amazon Prime
$196.78AmazonBuy
CPU CoolerLian Li HydroShift LCD 360TL RGB 79.9 CFM Liquid CPU CoolerLian Li HydroShift LCD 360TL RGB 79.9 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler$259.89
Amazon Prime
$259.89AmazonBuy
MotherboardGigabyte B650E AORUS ELITE X AX ICE ATX AM5 MotherboardGigabyte B650E AORUS ELITE X AX ICE ATX AM5 Motherboard$239.95Buy
MemoryCorsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6200 CL36 MemoryCorsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6200 CL36 Memory$134.99
Amazon Prime
$134.99AmazonBuy
StorageSamsung 990 EVO 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 5.0 X2 NVME Solid State DriveSamsung 990 EVO 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 5.0 X2 NVME Solid State Drive$149.99
Amazon Prime
$149.99AmazonBuy
Video CardGigabyte AERO OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video CardGigabyte AERO OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card$641.55
Amazon Prime
$641.55AmazonBuy
CaseLian Li O11 Dynamic Mini Snow Edition ATX Mid Tower CaseLian Li O11 Dynamic Mini Snow Edition ATX Mid Tower Case$111.99FREE$111.99AdoramaBuy
Power SupplyCooler Master V850 SFX GOLD 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power SupplyCooler Master V850 SFX GOLD 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply$169.99Buy
Case FanLian Li UNI FAN TL 120 90.1 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-PackLian Li UNI FAN TL 120 90.1 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack$98.99FREE$98.99NeweggBuy
Case FanLian Li UNI FAN TL 120 Reverse Blade 83.4 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-PackLian Li UNI FAN TL 120 Reverse Blade 83.4 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack$99.99FREE$99.99NeweggBuy
Case FanLian Li UNI FAN TL 120 Reverse Blade 83.4 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-PackLian Li UNI FAN TL 120 Reverse Blade 83.4 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack$99.99FREE$99.99Newegg

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I can't answer all these items. But regarding the "6 pin PCIe power connector" thing, I', pretty sure that does NOT mean the number of PCIe slots on the mobo for adding cards. It refers to the number of (6+2 -pin) (aka 8-pin) power outputs from the PSU. These are for connecting power to devices in your system. That particular video card you have chosen uses a LOT of power - so much that it might normally use two or three 8-pin outputs from the PSU to that ONE video card. But there is an alternative new cable type introduced by GForce called a 16-pin cable that must use a NEW 16-pin socket on a modular PSU to feed such a card. You should check with the Sales or Tech Support people at the card maker for how to make power connections to this card. You MAY need to select a different PSU that has this type of output socket.

Lian li likely makes a fan controller that will reduce the number of things you need to connect.

BUT you have much larger issues.

You have listed the "mini" version of the case. That case only has room for 2 360 length fan/radiator. One on the top and one on the bottom. So the radiator would go on the top and one of those fans on the bottom. Note your video card is going to hide the bottom ones. The side mount on the case will only take a 240 or 280.

So only need 1 on those 360 fans and maybe a 240 for the side.

This is likely massive overkill. You do not need to water cool a amd 7600. You are spending more on the cooler than the cpu chip. Maybe consider a air cooler and then buy a better cpu. You do not need to water cool unless you are running a overclocked intel. Almost all quality air coolers can cool even 14900k intels set to defualt setting. There are many air coolers in the $50 price range that will work fine.....they are more expensive if you are going to put silly LCD screens on them.