kickrox

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2004
Recently the power in my hoouse went out, not for long just a second then it came back. It did however cause my system to crash. Since i didn't know if it was a one time thing or if it would happen again i left it off for a while. When i went back after a bit and booted it up my display was wierd. First thing i noticed were grey vertical bars spread across my monitor. They were not solid bars either, imagine a barcode but vertical. I then realized some of my desktop icons were missing, instead replaced with a smalled version of the vertical bars only these were spanned horizontally. When i went to move my mouse the pointer would stick for a while behind me then disappear leaving a new trail, when i opened a folder and moved it, it's image would replicate sort of like the mouse pointer. Anyway, i figured a reboot would fix this, so i restarted. After the restart i was relieved to see no vertical bars, also my desktop fucntions returned to normal, Everything except my icons! was golden. The horizontal bars are still in place of some of my icons. i can move them, access them delete them, pretty much every function i had before, except there image is gone. Not just my desktop either, in folders, in explorer trees, i have icons there but not because they're but they're normal icon images are missing, i only see the grey horizontal bars. I've tried alot of things so far but none of them work. I lowered my resolution, i lowered my refresh rate, i tried file associations, I tried a system restore with last night's restore point, I installed newer Catalyst drivers for my Radeon 9800xt, yet sadly, nothin doing. So if anyone out there has ever come across this situation before or has any ideas of what i should try next i'd greatly aprreciate it.

PatMcGroin

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
this may or may not help but try to reseat your video card, and all of the connections. If you have add on memory on your video card move it around alittle also. I may just be a bad connection.

I woke up this morning on the right side of the wrong bed

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Tweak UI (part of XP powertoys from microsoft) has a rebuild icon feature. Not sure why I would ever have to rebuild my Icon's but maybe you have stubbled upon it.

PS after something like that I would do a clean install or restore from a partion backup as soon as its convient. Who knows what other bugs are waiting to be discovered?

russell

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Tweak UI (part of XP powertoys from microsoft) has a rebuild icon feature. Not sure why I would ever have to rebuild my Icon's but maybe you have stubbled upon it.

PS after something like that I would do a clean install or restore from a partion backup as soon as its convient. Who knows what other bugs are waiting to be discovered?
Ditto exactly what I was going to suggest as I was reading the post.

I also wondered about the rebuild icon feature in tweak, guess now we know..

!#&$ <font color=blue> :eek: </font color=blue>---<font color=red><i><b>It's not heavy,...it's my computer</font color=red></i></b>

kickrox

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2004
Nice! Tweak UI did it. Although after a restart i got blue vertical bars! :( then after another restart things seem very normal. I have my doubts though, guess i'll just have to wait and see. I'll most likely do a clean install this month.
thanks for the help guys..