Question Need help with new build - power and display issue.

Jan 5, 2023
I recently rebuilt my PC and I'm having issues with power and display. The GPU, motherboard, and fans light up in additon to the fans running. Both the motherboard and GPU display ports won't output a signal to my monitor and the motherboard USB ports and the USB ports on the front of my case don't have any power. I've double checked my mouse, keyboard, and display port cables aren't the issue. I've removed one stick of ram and tried that to no avail. I didn't try swapping the sticks yet due to the cpu fan being in the way, though I can try that later as well as removing the motherboard battery for a few minutes. I've double checked the power cables are properly installed as well.

I did have my cpu in a different motherboard which was giving me a slew of issues, ditched the old one and am using the one listed below with the rest of the components. I'm at a bit of a loss and in need of some help. I double checked compatibility with a parts checker before swapping out the motherboard.

Motherboard: ASUS - TUF GAMING Z590-PLUS WIFI Socket LGA 1200 USB 3.2 Intel Motherboard

Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 32GB Kit (2x16GB) 3200MHz (PC4-25600) CL16 Desktop Memory Module Ram (Red) - TLZRD432G3200HC16FDC01

GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming, 10G-P5-3897-KL, 10GB GDDR6X, iCX3 Technology, ARGB LED, Metal Backplate, LHR

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700KF - Core i7 10th Gen Comet Lake 8-Core 3.8 GHz LGA 1200 125W None Desktop Processor - BX8070110700KF

Fan: Noctua NH-D15, Premium CPU Cooler with 2X NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fans (Brown)

Power: CORSAIR - RM Series RM750 Fully Modular Ultra-Low Noise ATX Power Supply - Black

Case: Rosewill Thor V2 - Black (reused from previous build)

Two SSD and HDD from previous build (though I don't think this is the issue since I can't even get to the bios screen)

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700KF
Both the motherboard and GPU display ports won't output a signal to my monitor

Your processor has an F at the end of the SKU, alongside the K meaning that it's an unlocked processor(K) and that it lacks an iGPU(F), so you won't get any display output when connecting your display to the motherboard's display output ports.

GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Power: CORSAIR - RM Series RM750

You should've looked into a 1KW or higher PSU to pair with that GPU.

TLZRD432G3200HC16FDC01
Which two slots are you populating on the motherboard with that ram kit?

I did have my cpu in a different motherboard which was giving me a slew of issues, ditched the old one and am using the one listed below with the rest of the components. I'm at a bit of a loss and in need of some help
Can you elaborate on this?

Noctua NH-D15
Try loosening the mounting pressure on the CPU socket by performing one 90 Deg anticlockwise rotation per screw. if you're able to take the cooler off and inspect the CPU socket, check and see if there are any bent or broken CPU socket pins.

Reactions: ZingingCutie23
Jan 5, 2023
Thanks for trying to help. Here's an update now that I've got time after work.

The compatibility checker I used said the PSU I picked would be fine and that's good to know about the CPU.

There are four slots and the motherboard manual says to put it in the two gray ones. I've tried one at a time and swapping them in both the gray and black slots just in case. I removed the cmos battery and replaced it after 5 minutes, double checked all power cables and the gpu was seated properly. I don't see any bent or broken pins on the CPU socket either. I have a feeling I'd know what they look like, but just in case I took a few photos.

To elaborate, the CPU was in a different motherboard which wouldn't detect any of my drives.

Hopefully this isn't against the terms and the link works. I don't have another good way to share the photos other than through Drive and it doesn't seem to want to let me add them directly.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LepzenbF0fI6ag7jA-2b9felL67HXHx9

Jan 5, 2023
I agree that 750w is a bit on the low side, for a 3080. RTX 3000 is power hungry, and has huge power spikes.

I guess I didn't notice any issues with power in my last build. I had the same 750 psu, but bought a new one for this build. Do you think that's the culprit?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023
It could be the issue. Might want to check your motherboard's CPU socket, for bent pins, as well.

I tried unplugging the extra case fans and other peripherals just to see if it would boot. It didn't, but had another set of eyes and a magnifying glass take a look at the cpu socket and there was one bent pin in the very bottom row. I've got a new board on the way (estimated arrival is Saturday), so hopefully that was the issue. If I need a new psu, then that will be the next step.

Appreciate the help even though I've been slow to update. I'm not great at this and the first and only other build I did was way smoother than this somehow.