Question Need help with new build: power cables

Dec 23, 2022
Hi,

I am looking to build my first PC in a long time and need some help with the power cables going into the motherboard. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I cant insert images to just added a link to each of them to hopefully explain what I am confused about easier.

Firstly I have an:
Asus AM5 ATX TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS
Be Quiet 1000w Dark Power 12 80+ Titanium

At the top of the motherboard I have 2x 8 pin connections labeled ATX_12V_1 & ATX_12V_2
IMG to mobo

My power supply has a MB(20 pin) and a MB(8 pin) which I am using for the main motherboard power socket.

I have occupied 2x PCIe slots to power my 7900xtx using the VGA cables provided(these split into 2 but I am only using 1 each)
IMG to Power Supply

I now have a P8 outlet on the power supply which terminates into the plug below:
Image to Plug

Do I use this plug in the top of the motherboard? Or do I use the PCIe on the power supply to VGA which by the looks will also plug in there?

If I use the P8 into the 2x 4pin which orientation do I use? Do I place them both in the same socket and have an entire 8 pin socket free on the motherboard, do I split them up so I have a 4 pin in each socket? This is where I am unsure.
Image to Instruction Manual

Thanks guys, looking forward to having a new pc.

Last edited:
I now have a P8 outlet on the power supply which terminates into the plug below:
Image to Plug
Do I use this plug in the top of the motherboard?
YES

Or do I use the PCIe on the power supply to VGA which by the looks will also plug in there?
NO

If I use the P8 into the 2x 4pin which orientation do I use?(do I place them both to the far left of each socket ect)
It will only fit one way, with the clip toward the top. They should form two rows of 4 and you should have two of those wires with your PSU to be able to use both P8 outlets.