Need help with picking video card. (UPDATE - getting a new MB now)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Elrynon

Honorable
May 15, 2014
Hey everyone, I pieced together an older computer for my son to play around on (he's six) and I need help choosing a video card. The motherboard I have is the ecs 945gct-m3, with an E6700 2.6 dual core cpu and 2gb of ram(the max this board can handle). I have a *cough*tier 5 deer 500w*cough* PSU.

Right now we're using the integrated grapics to play minecraft/flash games/Guild Wars but I would like to get him a dedicated graphics card. I would LIKE to be able to get something that is on par with the other parts. I've seen people recommending the 8800GTS, GT450, and HD7xxx series for this CPU. I'd like to stay as close to $50ish as possible (If there's a rebate that brings it down to that price range I'll consider it). I THINK I need to stay with a PCI-e x16 1.0 but MAY be able to go to PCI-e X16 2.0 (I've contacted ECS about what version this slot can handle as I've seen a LOT of people saying that not all PCI-e 1.0 slots can handle 3.0 cards)

I was about to get the R7 240 ($70ish with $20 rebate) but A)it's PCI-e 3.0 and B)I worry that it would be a waste. I saw one person that worded it perfectly, "Why have a GPU that can render 1000 trees if the rest of your parts can only handle 100?". Thanks for any help.

****Breakdown for those that don't like to read***

*ECS 945gct-m3 Motherboard
*2gb of RAM(max allowed on board)
*Tier 5 500W PSU
*$50-$75 budget (as close to the $50 as possible)
*Need to stick close to PCI-e x16 1.0 (Not sure if board can handle 2.0 or 3.0 as people go back and forth about it)
*Best card without being a waste

Edit: We are on a tight budget. If your response is "Man, that stuff is old/sucky. Just buy something new" then please don't bother responding. That's not an option for us. I KNOW it's old/sucky. Trust me. I KNOW. I know this sounds harsh but I get tired of reading threads where someone is looking for REAL help and they get snark remarks about how old/sucky their stuff is. Some of us do the best we can afford even if we can't afford the best. If you feel like you can help with advice about a graphics card then I greatly appreciate the help.

Solution

freeracercolin

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013

Your first one looks OK spec wise, but the reviews would worry me. Not only that, but you wold need to get new RAM too, as it supports only DDR3-1066/1333(OC). Your second one looks good, but your right about having to get it used.

Also, not to be stalkerish, but what state do you live in? You don't have to tell me, but since we're in the same timezone, I'm a bit curious.

Elrynon

Honorable
May 15, 2014
Not stalkerish at all. lol I live in central Florida. It's not out in the open, but the first one does support DDR2. It has two slots for DDR3 and two slots for DDR2.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/G41C-GS/

I've also e-mailed them about the PCI-E slot on the board. lol

Reading through the reviews it looks like most of the bad ones have to do with either random DDR3 not working (which the company even says to use RAM from their QVL) or people not liking the layout of the board. Which I could care less about.

freeracercolin

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013

Oh, I didn't see that on Newegg. Other than the reviews then, I would say that it is a solid board. Also, I live in Ohio

Elrynon

Honorable
May 15, 2014
Yeah, once I get an e-mail back from AsRock I'll make the decision. I THINK I should be ok because I found a video on youtube of a guy with that MB using an R7 250 which also gets it's power from the board and not a 6-pin plug. The TDP on the 250 is double of the 240.