[SOLVED] Need help with PSU Connectors

Ripper351

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
Hello friends,
I am so tired of getting stuck on every aspect of my build and i apologize for so many questions lately, but the help is super appreciated, and this looks like my last step. I am trying to hook up my PSU to my rig but I have become confused on a number of steps, and after researching about it I am getting conflicting answers, or things that make everything more confusing. Sorry if I am over complicating.

The Parts: Z390 Aorus Ultra Mobo, Corsair RM850x PSU, i9-9900k, MSI 2080ti Gaming X Trio,

My Questions:
I have a 12v 4x2 as well as a 12v 2x2 power connector on my Mobo for powering CPU, do I use both? Some said the additional 2x2 was optional but was required for OCing? Some said use one while others said use both, while somebody else thought the additional 2x2 fried his CPU.... And it doesn't seem like my CPU, Mobo, or PSU Manual touches on how to hook things up. Do i use both or will that increase temps of the CPU or something? Where can one find a concrete answer for stuff like this when it isn't in any of my manuals?

2. I have two of these CPU power cables: www.imgur.com/Gi0NMNJ And some people have said the green side must connect to the PSU whereas the red and blue must both be put into the 2x4, is that correct? (Would it actually matter if it was flipped?) Then for the 2x2, I presume it doesn't matter if I use the red or the blue one?

3. Regarding GPU, I have heard people recommend that when a GPU has more than one connector you should use two cables instead of using both ends of the power cable. Since I have three ports on my GPU, should I hook up 3 of these cables while only using one half of the "daisy chain", or just do two cables? Seems like a lot? Does using the daisy-chain actually impede anything, like OC ability? Other threads here spoke of this but the answer was to check manual... again I found no answer.

4. I will run out of PCIe slots on my PSU if I use more than one cable for GPU. www.imgur.com/1Vqdw3q From my research it seems I can just use the Peripheral/Sata, correct? They are the same thing?

Last edited:
Solution
1) Since having two "cpu cables" (EPS) use both to power the 8+4 pin connectors.

2) Yes the green goes into the psu, the other side is used to power the motherboard. For the 2+2 one will only fit so use that one/half.

3)Since the gpu has three power connectors just use two cables where from one you use two connectors. Only if things don't seem to be stable when stressing the gpu would i try all three cables.

4)You can use al the peripheral/sata cable connectors you want.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
1) Since having two "cpu cables" (EPS) use both to power the 8+4 pin connectors.

2) Yes the green goes into the psu, the other side is used to power the motherboard. For the 2+2 one will only fit so use that one/half.

3)Since the gpu has three power connectors just use two cables where from one you use two connectors. Only if things don't seem to be stable when stressing the gpu would i try all three cables.

4)You can use al the peripheral/sata cable connectors you want.

Solution