Question need help with ram again

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
i have a msi b450 tomahawk motherboard running the newest bios which is 1.80. whats going on is the bios does not let me manually set the dram voltage, one thing i think is the problem is i had a issue before i updated the bios which was the a2 and b2 ram slots were registering the full 32gb of ram but would only let me use 16gb of it. so i ended up switching ram slots to a1 and b1. and never switched back after i flashed the bios. the ram im using is corsair vengeance pro rgb 2x16 3000mhz and my cpu is a ryzen 5 2600. so i think maybe if i switch the sticks back to the right slots, maybe then ill be able to manually set the dram voltage in the bios. any suggestions?? please help!!

Last edited:
i have a msi b450 tomahawk motherboard running the newest bios which is 1.80. whats going on is the bios does not let me manually set the dram voltage, one thing i think is the problem is i had a issue before i updated the bios which was the a2 and b2 ram slots were registering the full 32gb of ram but would only let me use 16gb of it. so i ended up switching ram slots to a1 and b1. and never switched back after i flashed the bios. the ram im using is corsair vengeance pro rgb 2x16 3000mhz and my cpu is a ryzen 5 2600. so i think maybe if i switch the sticks back to the right slots, maybe then ill be able to manually set the dram voltage in the bios. any suggestions?? please help!!
I would switch RAM to slots recommended by MB manufacturer, usually A2 and B2 in most if not all Ryzen builds. Voltage and other adjustments are not related to RAM slots it's inserted to, just performance because it may not work in dual channel.
When you say "registering the full 32gb of ram but would only let me use 16gb of it" do you mean in Windows ?

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
I would switch RAM to slots recommended by MB manufacturer, usually A2 and B2 in most if not all Ryzen builds. Voltage and other adjustments are not related to RAM slots it's inserted to, just performance because it may not work in dual channel.
When you say "registering the full 32gb of ram but would only let me use 16gb of it" do you mean in Windows ?
the ram is now registering all 32gb after the bios update. also why do you think i cant manually adjust the ram voltage in the bios on this board? also what i meant about the ram issue was it was showing in windows and in the bios that i had 32gb of ram but only was allowing 16gb to be available.

I don't know how that BIOS works but RAM placement shouldn't stop voltage from being adjusted, did you try with XMP enabled ? Did you switch to A2 and B2 slots ? It should work in dual channel mode and windows should recognize and make available all RAM.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
I don't know how that BIOS works but RAM placement shouldn't stop voltage from being adjusted, did you try with XMP enabled ? Did you switch to A2 and B2 slots ? It should work in dual channel mode and windows should recognize and make available all RAM.
yes i switched back to a2 and b2 slots, and windows does register all ram now after bios update.