Question need help with ram

Cubixty

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
So basically I found some Corsair Venheance 2x8GB DDR4 ram 3200MHz for £55 (+ shipping) but on the box it says "Supports Intel Inside Core" . Does that mean it doesn't support Ryzen CPU's ( to be specific a Ryzen 3 1200 )? Thanks

You should look at your motherboard's manufacturer Qualified's Vendor List (QVL) RAM.
RAM that is not tested on your motherboard might not run at 3200MHz (OC) and could revert to a lower speed (2133-2400MHz).
You might need to manually configure it to run at 3200MHz and it is not guaranteed.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
You sure the add lists it as "Venheance"? Since when it does, it may be scam. The real model name is:"Vengeance".

In any event, there are no specific Intel or AMD RAM out there. If the RAM works with Intel CPU, it will work with AMD as well and vice-versa, regardless what the marketing on the RAM says.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
While what Aeacus says is true, as far as works goes, some ram is tested more vigorously than others. Gskill FlareX and any of its Trident Z series where the model number ends in X (like GTZRX for instance) is specifically recommended for use on AM4 motherboards over the non X models.

Any ram will work at default speeds, but XMP / DOHC is an overclock of the ram (factory specified), so there's no guarantee that those OC speeds can be obtained. There's multiple instances of ppl using 3000 or higher speed ram yet not getting that speed even with manual settings, at best getting 2933MHz.

So all ddr4 ram will work, some just works better.

Reactions: DMAN999

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The GTZR Cas 16 uses Samsung D-die ram, and apart from B-die (Cas 14/15) was the most compatable with Ryzen to start with. Subsequent bios upgrades from 1st gen were hard-coded into the 2000 series, and that covered 99% of issues, but they still popup every now and then, especially with the SK Hynix ic's used by the Corsair LPX and others. Most times it's no more than an issue with xmp settings on auto, manually plugging in the settings works fine, so it's more a bios issue than a ram issue.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Huh, that's news. Cas 16 has been D, 15 can be either D or B, depending on the batch and 14 is B, but always Samsung in the Trident-Z series. Not sure on Trident-X. Same with the RipJaws V series, although the IV used Hynix. There's a few oddballs out there using A-die, mostly findable in the 2133MHz, but not many.

Edit:
3200 15-15-15 should be Samsung just because there are no Hynix or Micron IC in mass sales at so tight timings.
G.Skill is not sharing what IC they are using since beginning of this year when they started to use Hynix in Trident Z RGB and Ripjaws V 3000/3200 at more relaxed timings ( read CL15-16-16, 16-16-16, 16-18-18 ). However I'm almost sure that 3200 CL15-15-15 or any higher frequency memory kits are still based on Samsung IC because Hynix/Micron simply can't work at these settings.

Hmm they slipped a mickey in it seems. Cool, glad you made me look that up

Last edited:

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
To be honest I feel like I got lucky with my RAM kit.
I bought it back in November 2018 on sale for around $130 and back then the c14 B-Die kits I looked at were going for $250 or more.
So I bought this TridentZ RGB kit because I have always had great luck with G.Skill and it was listed on my motherboard's QVL.
It ran flawlessly at 3200 using the DOCP profile and has been extremely stable for me even when OC'd to 3400 MHz with tighter timings. I could probably get it to run even faster if I wanted to spend the time.
But I spent quite a bit of time testing my CPU and RAM OCs and I don't believe I would gain enough performance even if I did get it to run faster.
I actually just set my RAM back to 3333 MHz because I have been playing with pushing my CPU OC a bit.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
C14 prices are still brutal. Unless what you are doing is highly ram dependent, there's not all that much difference really, not for real world apps like games. And with fps usually higher than monitor refresh, the additional 5fps or so is moot anyways.

I took my Patriot Intel Masters Extreme DDR3 1866 10-11-10-30 2T upto 2400 11-12-11-36 1T, and couldn't see any difference except Windows loading was 2 seconds faster. But thats Intel too. Ryzens do get a boost from tighter timings, but nowhere near as much as from bumping 2666MHz for a 2600 to 3200MHz. Even 3466MHz doesn't pay off much.