need help with slow throughput

aspenhusker

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just installed windows me and checked the throughput on my IBM 13.6 udma drive, it was only 3.7meg/sec. It used to be at least 8. I've enabled dma and reinstalled the via 4 in 1 drivers with no improvement. This happened one other time in win 98 I then reinstalled the via drivers and it solved the problem. This time though hasn't been successful at all. I have tried everything I can think of and it is still at 3.7.
Thanks in advance
James

G

Are we talking UDMA-33 or 66? If UDMA-66 are you using a 40 pin or an 80 pin cable? Also, what kind of Mobo?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by itsmillertime on 11/12/00 10:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Definately check your cables. Also check your motherboard. it might not support ultra DMA or ultra/66. It's also possible that you have the speed set wrong. on the promise controllers and in some bios' let you choose PIO modes. if thats the case, make sure to read your manuals for the correct settings in this case. Of course if you provided us with some more info, we would be able to help you out more. Your question and problem is rather vague. Well i hope I helped you some.

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What program are you using to check your throughput? If you are using different software or versions it may confuse you as to burst rate and sequential read adn random read etcetc. Anyway IBM DTLA-307030 rulz - DiskBench 99 average throughput = 37MB/sec hehe...

Smart guys are not smart; they only see things in different perspective.
1st <b>member</b>!

aspenhusker

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My Asus cuv4x supports ata 66 and I have checked all the settings, it's set on udma 4 which is ata 66. I have a pentium 3 933 under windows me, 128meg cas2 ram. I then changed out cables thinking I had a bad cable. Nothing has improved. The software I am using to check it is Norton utilities system check under the phyisical benchmarks. Do you think my drive is bad? It used to work fine.
Thanks
James

G

I'd suggest you to use a benchmark like HDTach, it's great and it gives a good appreciation of Burst speed as well as sequential read speed. Also, make sure that the Blue end of the cable is in the mobo and the Black end is where you disk is connected.