Question Need help with some matters concerning the Gigabyte H310M A

Final_Vent_Card

Commendable
Apr 19, 2019
So, I'm about to build my first rig and the build I'm going for uses the Gigabyte H310M A. But I have a few concerns. Do I have to buy my own thermal paste and heatsink for installation, or does the MOBO bring its own? If I must purchase a heat sink, what's a good budget heatsink?

Finally, I've heard that some H310Ms have a BIOS error that requires an update before you can even install the OS. I'm very easily confused by written instructions, is there a clear and simple-to-read set of orders I can follow to correct this?

bignastyid

Titan
The CPU, not the motherboard, is what usually comes with a heatsink so it depends on what CPU you choose. The motherboard will only likely require a bios update if you use a 9th gen cpu, an 8th gen gen should be supported by the bios rev that comes with the board.

Final_Vent_Card

Commendable
Apr 19, 2019
The CPU, not the motherboard, is what usually comes with a heatsink so it depends on what CPU you choose. The motherboard will only likely require a bios update if you use a 9th gen cpu, an 8th gen gen should be supported by the bios rev that comes with the board.

The CPU I'm going for is the Intel i5. How would that work out?

bignastyid

Titan
That will likely require a bios update to work with that 9th gen i5. You will also require a video card as that i5 has no igpu. The i5 8400 should work with the boards current bios and is only 100mhz slower, it also has an igpu if you don't have a dedicated gpu.

Final_Vent_Card

Commendable
Apr 19, 2019
That will likely require a bios update to work with that 9th gen i5. You will also require a video card as that i5 has no igpu. The i5 8400 should work with the boards current bios and is only 100mhz slower, it also has an igpu if you don't have a dedicated gpu.

I'm trying to stick with a budget build as much as I can; what would be a good video card I could shoot for, if I wanted to stick with the 9400F? Also, would I need a separate heat sink for it?

EDIT: For simplicity's sake, I'll list the parts for the rig I was considering:
- Patriot Viper Elite Series DDR4 8GB (2x4GB) 2666MHz PC4-21300 Dual Channel Kit
- ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mini, 4GB GDDR5 DisplayPort 128-bit Gaming Graphic Card
-EVGA 450 BR, 80+ Bronze 450W
-Seagate 1TB Hard drive
-Gigabyte H310M A
-Intel i5 9400F

EDIT 2: I should also point out, I'm mostly making this as a budget gaming rig; do I still need the video card?

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019
I'm trying to stick with a budget build as much as I can; what would be a good video card I could shoot for, if I wanted to stick with the 9400F?

I can confirm from my own experience that the combo H310M A + i5-9400F requires a dedicated GPU. I purchased the same set and couldn't get it to boot. For me, the MSI GeForce GT 710 2GB was good enough, though I won't be using it for gaming, but as a HTPC.