need help with tri-monitor setup and gpu's

Solution
1) Have you considered a single high-res monitor instead? Like a single 27", 2560x1440?

I tried a triple-monitor setup at a friends but hated it because of the gap between screens and because I had to move my head too much.

Also there's many games which benefit more from a high-res screen like CIV5, Starcraft 2 etc

2) 3xSLI is a bad idea. Tom Peterson from NVidia even said so in an interview on PCPER. You get slightly more issues with 2xSLI versus a single card but with 3X you get a lot more issues.

Titan? At this point I'd wait for a GTX980Ti or similar.

3) GSYNC monitors:
Works with SLI. I don't think multi-monitor works though. This is about getting the best game smoothness. About the best gaming experience right now is with the...
1) Have you considered a single high-res monitor instead? Like a single 27", 2560x1440?

I tried a triple-monitor setup at a friends but hated it because of the gap between screens and because I had to move my head too much.

Also there's many games which benefit more from a high-res screen like CIV5, Starcraft 2 etc

2) 3xSLI is a bad idea. Tom Peterson from NVidia even said so in an interview on PCPER. You get slightly more issues with 2xSLI versus a single card but with 3X you get a lot more issues.

Titan? At this point I'd wait for a GTX980Ti or similar.

3) GSYNC monitors:
Works with SLI. I don't think multi-monitor works though. This is about getting the best game smoothness. About the best gaming experience right now is with the Asus Swift (27" 2560x1440).

I'm holding out for an IPS panel or similar quality that is G-Sync and over 100Hz, with lower response time than is currently possible.

4) Movies?
That's a non-issue aside from the fact you'll only watch on a single monitor.

Summary:
Personally I'd get the following:
a) GSync high-res monitor, and
b) 1xGTX980Ti (or Titan X if you can't wait)

Solution

Seth L

Honorable
Dec 1, 2014
Have you thought of just getting a single GPU with a displayport 1.2a and just using an MST Hub?
Check these out.

http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/multi-stream-transport-mst-hub-hdmi-1-3.html

They will split one displayport 1.2a to 3 screens with HDMI, and they will act as 3 separate monitors and allow for extended desktop. They're a lot cheaper than multi-GPU's :)

Here's a link to purchase it if you decide to do so.
http://www.excaliberpc.com/633043/club-3d-csv-5300h-sensevision-multi.html

But, adding on, if gaming and all that stuff is what you're doing, I agree with Photonboy, you should go with a single ultra-wide instead of multiples. I only use multiples because I use a lot of different programs at once and need more monitors. Ultra-wide will be the same size as multiple monitors, without the hideous bezels.

Thomkat2

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015

ok thanks guys, I appreciate the responses and the help. the display port hub would set me up with the 3 monitors, but like y'all said it would be better to just game on a single monitor. By the way I also thought about using a gaming projector, im about to look up how long the bulb life lasts on those. the Benq model w1070 I think seems to be ok, has great reviews...