[SOLVED] Need help with upgrading prebuilt

Solution
What processor does you current PC have now? All I see is FX.
Yes you can use the HDD and SSD together. But if you replace the motherboard, you'll likely have to do a OS clean install on the SSD. Then use the HDD for storage.
You are right at the margin for high-ultra @ 1440p with the R3-2200G and the GTX 1060 3GB. At 1080p you could do it. That's not to say that some games won't do 40+ fps at 1440p, but it isn't a good combo for that rez... imo. I'd go with the R5 and the 6GB 1060 for a better 1440p combo.

There's a lot of folks here that love to 'build' a new gaming PC. I'm sure someone will jump in with a total build for you.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
What processor does you current PC have now? All I see is FX.
Yes you can use the HDD and SSD together. But if you replace the motherboard, you'll likely have to do a OS clean install on the SSD. Then use the HDD for storage.
You are right at the margin for high-ultra @ 1440p with the R3-2200G and the GTX 1060 3GB. At 1080p you could do it. That's not to say that some games won't do 40+ fps at 1440p, but it isn't a good combo for that rez... imo. I'd go with the R5 and the 6GB 1060 for a better 1440p combo.

There's a lot of folks here that love to 'build' a new gaming PC. I'm sure someone will jump in with a total build for you.

Solution
Dec 4, 2018

Thanks for the response! Current processor is AMD FX 4300. Would a fresh OS install require me to buy windows again? I can't quite afford the R5 and 6gb, I'm kinda pushin my budget with 2200G and 3gb.

Dec 4, 2018
I have also read that there needs to be a BIOS update to be compatible with the 2200G, but only some of the B350 motherboards need an older CPU to update BIOS and I was wondering if this will be an issue?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If you buy from a retailer that has a big turnover like Amazon or Newegg, chances are pretty good at this late date that any 300-series boards will recognize the 2nd gen Ryzens. If not, AMD will loan you a CPU to update the BIOS with.

If the R3 and the 3GB 1060 is maxing out your budget, then enjoy playing at either the highest settings or highest fps you can for now. No reason you can't upgrade the CPU and GPU down the road.
Another GPU option is AMD's "1060 6GB equivalent"; the RX-580 8GB. They have recently dropped in price. In some games, it is actually faster than the 1060 6GB.